Godalming Town FC

Greenwich Borough

Godalming Town 1 – 4 Greenwich Borough


Godalming returned to league action at Wey Court for the first time in almost a month. Having played several of the top teams in the league away already it would be a challenge to play yet another of the top sides, but at home this time.


Such a scoreline would appear to represent a dominant performance by the visitors, but that was not the case for much of the game.


The G’s line up was more of a 4-4-2 formation with Matt Anton and Graeme Purdy up front. The midfield included Luke Perkins, Rory Sellick and Connor Gales with Ashley Lloyd returning from injury. With Chris Musgrove on the bench (as a precautionary measure presumably) Goncalves Christiano was moved to partner George Spiers at centre back, whilst Chris Wales was selected at right back, Nick Hutchings at left back and Oneal Garnes (Tuesdays hero) in goal. On the bench were Darren Wheeler, Jaz Ratteray-Smith, Nick Medcraft and Chris Musgrove.


Again the G’s made a lively start to the game with a good quick clearance from defence up to Matt Anton who turned it inside to Luke Perkins who ran on strongly and got a good shot in, but the visiting keeper did well to parry it and keep it from the advancing Matt Anton. However the attempt was ruled offside.


On 23 minutes the Greenwich Borough number 11 Mo Eisa broke through into the middle of the G’s defence.  Chris Wales was in close attendance and the linesman flagged for a foul on the Greenwich No 11 well outside of the penalty area. However the players ran on into the penalty area and towards the 6 yard box where he was finally brought down. After much discussion with the linesman the referee decided to award the penalty. Clearly he had absolutely no idea of who was the perpetrator as he appeared to want to issue yellow cards to every G’s player he could see, including those who were on the opposite side of the pitch. In the end he appeared to give it against Luke Perkins who was certainly nowhere near at the time. So who received yellows at the end of the day we will have to wait and see. Michael Power took the penalty for the visitors to put them one up.


The G’ s continued to create opportunities and Matt Anton hit a shot that cannoned off the foot of the post on about 28 minutes.

10 minutes later the lively pairing of Matt Anton and Luke Perkins  came close again when Matt picked up a loose ball and fed it in to Luke but he shot wide. Not long after Perkins got another shot in which the Greenwich keeper did well to parry out. The G’s could not capitalise on their pressure.

In another attach George Speirs tried to steer a shot in from inside the box, but it was not to be and the score was 0-1 at half time.


Early on in the second half Graeme Purdy headed wide from a Connor Gales corner for the left-hand side of the penalty area.


Just as the G’s continued to press the Greenwich defence broke quickly playing the ball forward and Mo Eisa played it on but an unfortunate header from the G’s defence put the ball over Oneal Garnes who had left his goal in anticipation of taking the ball. Even the fleet footed Chris Wales could not stop the ball dribbling into the net. So the visitors went 2-0 up.


That signalled a mad few minutes when Greenwich seemed to be able to score at will and they put another two goals past the G’s keeper within a few minutes. One from a poorly defended corner to the far post and the other from a good move down their left. This left the G’s. 4-0 down.


The G’s were still coming forward in attack as the visitors sat back on their commanding lead. Nick Hutchings hit a super shot from just outside the box, which the visiting keeper did well to tip over for a corner.


Not long after Matt Anton, who had worked tirelessly up front all day, won the ball from a defender on the goal line wide of the goal and pulled the ball back into the box where Rory Sellick blasted it, only to see his shot blocked and cleared.


Oneal Garnes was also called upon to make his usual contribution with a smart save as the G’s went on the attack.


With around 15 minutes left Darren Wheeler came on for Matt Anton and after not too long produced a run from the right side back across the front of the penalty area and squeezed a shot back across the goal for a consolation goal for the G’s. He then, moments later, almost repeated the same move, but this time hit his shot went narrowly wide.


Jaz Ratteray Smith came on in the closing minutes for Luke Perkins who had also been impressive.


So a strange game in which the G’s competed well in the first half having had the majority of the possession and plenty of opportunities to score.  The second half featured a strange spell when the visitors were able to score 3 in around 5 minutes.


Michaels stats below:-

Stats G’s



attempts 12 14
on target 2 11
corners 2 6
fouls 11 16
bookings 2 0
Possession 1st 61% 49%
Possession 2nd 45% 55%



Scroll to top