Godalming Town FC



Godalming 1 – 2 Molesey

Enormous frustration was the overbearing feeling at the end of this encounter, which was probably one which Dan Turkington would have earmarked as a possible win. Frustration because it really could have been another three points to the home team.

The visit of Molesey saw the return of  ex  Gs Josh Andrews and Antonio Simmeone to Wey Court.

The team was the same as finished that incredible match at Herne Bay, other than that Bobby Dormer returned to play in front of the back four, so Steve Brown started on the bench. He was not on the bench for long however as the re-rejuvenated Graeme Purdy who was struggling at the end of the game on Saturday clearly aggravated his injury again early on.

Without doubt the Gs started this game with more enthusiasm and determination, dominating the game. They were playing more as a team than we have seen before and Piers Oldland was getting forward and on 17 minutes with the Gs attacking the road end he got in a shot from within the area, which was turned in by a Molesey defender facing his goal.

So with a goal already on the board and Bobby Dormer stamping his mark on the game all looked good. However soon after Graeme Purdy was forced to leave the pitch and that ended the effective pairing of Bunyan and Purdy in attack. The Gs were dominant however when a searching ball was played in behind the

visitors defence and William Efambe was able to use his pace to gather it and deliver a cross to the opposite side where Darren Wheeler hit a fine shot that was well saved by the visiting keeper.


So on half time the Gs were 1-0 up and looking comfortable. Probably the best 45 minutes that we have seen from the Gs for a very long time.


In the opening minutes of the second half we could have made it two but could not put the ball away. Then on the counter Molesey hit Oneal Garnes crossbar and as the ball bounced out there was a clash of heads which required treatment to  a visiting player.

The referee called for a dropped ball on the edge of the area and Bobby Dormer was penalise giving a free kick just on the edge of the area. Whilst that was defended it was the start of the visitors getting back into the game. Josh Andrews always so strong when running with the ball cut in from the left and hit a good shot which Oneal parried but the ball fell to Dre Grobler to equalise.

Only a couple of minutes later the Gs gave away a corner on their left, which was delivered to the edge of the penalty area where it was headed to the far post looping over the defence and sneaking just inside the post. Whether a genuine header for goal or not it was a blow to find the lads suddenly behind again when they had been so dominant in the first half.

The Gs tried to get back and created a couple of chances but it was just not our night. The Visiting keeper was called on to make a couple of good stops right at the end.

No stats from Michael I am afraid being a school night.








Scroll to top