Godalming Town FC

Camberley Town (H)

Godalming 2-2 Camberley Town    

I have said it before, and will probably say it again, but, football is a funny old game.

Before the game we probably would have settled for a draw, to end the run of defeats. But why then did we feel so disappointed at the result?  Answer – Because it seemed there were THREE points there for the taking. Tantalisingly close, we could smell them!!! 2 – 0 up and comfortably enough.

But in a minute of madness at about 10 minutes from the end of the game the visitors came back to equalise and share the points.  It was good to see Adam Rootes in the dugout on Saturday, helping Simon out and on Tuesday he was holding the reins on his own, while Simon had an evening off. So a good result for him too.

As far as familiar faces in the Camberley squad were concerned there were Callum Lunn in goal and Steve Brown as ex Gees

This was another good all-round performance from the lads and they seem to be starting to gel as a team with some great passing moves. I have said that before as well.  With Tom Webb in goal, Eugene Bongo at right back, Steve Betancourt (returning from suspension) and Kieran Wright as the centre backs and Isy Nzelo at left back. Lewis Taylor in front of the back four and Ben Cotton, Robert Webbe in the middle and Bobby Bennett upfront with Piers Oldland and Estaban Salgardo, the wide players.  Tre Trowers, Mert Varli and Hailu Theodros on the bench. The latter arriving a few minutes after the kick off.

The Gees, attacking the road end, started well and in the first minute Bobby Bennett worked his way behind the visitor’s defence, but was pushed wide of the near post and could only hit the side netting with his shot.

Although Camberley were able to attack wide on the flanks and won some corners, but did not manage too much on target. The home team were showing some nifty footwork and approach play as they have done in the past.  Steve Betancourt headed wide from a free kick, when I am sure he will feel he should have done better.

Shortly after Lewis Taylor hit one of his specials, that looked like it would creep in under the bar, only to see ex Gee Callum Lunn do very well to dive backwards and tip it over the bar.

On about 35 minutes Piers Oldland was involved as usual in one of the Gees passing moves into the penalty area, where he was pulled down. Captain Lewis stepped up to hit the ball low into the net. Gees  1-0 up.

HT Godalming 1-0 Camberlely Town

Isy Nzelo was having a great game on the left and made some great well-timed tackles and a couple of runs from deep. On one of them he crossed to see Bobby Brown try a neat flick from close range, which once again the visiting keeper did well to save.

He then linked with Estaban and manufactured a shot himself. Not happy with that he made yet another run and delivered a low ball across the face of the goal, which a defender covering back at pace, could not help turning into his own net.  Gees now 2-0 up.

Camberley now needed to throw everything they could at the home team, and they did that. Tom Webb was called upon to bravely smother and block with his legs two attacks from the visitors.

Hailu Theodros who had so impressed with his energy on his debut on Saturday came on for Estaban.

Then with about 10 minutes left on the clock the Gees gave away a foul wide on their right, but the ref pointed to the spot.  One back for the visitors.  They attacked immediately after this and forced a corner from their left from which they were able to head home to bring the scores level within a minute or so of their first goal.

Another great team performance for the Gees and with Shawn becoming available again next week we should have some interesting options.

 Michael’s (stato) stats

No stats for this game I am afraid (school night!)


Scroll to top