Godalming Town FC

AFC Hayes (H)

Godalming Town 1–2 AFC Hayes

 After a string of good performances recently this result was a big disappointment for the whole squad and the first half was probably the worse that we have seen.

Kyan Nicholls was a new face to the team playing wide in attack, while Tom Webb returned in goal.  The influential Ben Cotton still injured. Piers Oldland was involved in an awful car crash where his car was written off earlier this week. So it was great to see that he was OK and up for the game, although still feeling the after effects.

The starting line-up was Tom Webb in goal and a 4 4 2 formation in front of him, with Kieran Wright at right back and Isy Nzelo at left back, while Lewis Taylor and Steve Betancourt were the centre back pairing. Piers Oldland, Robert Webbe, Estoban Salgado and Kyan Nicholls with Shawn Lyle and Bobby Bennett up front.  On the bench were Tre Trowers, Mert Varli and Luke Elgar. Hakim Griffith was named, but I did not see him.

The first goal for the visitors arrived within four minutes. The Gees had been attacking the road end when their defence appeared to be caught out, while calling for an offside decision against the visitors on their first attack on the Gees left and the ball was played in and Tom Webb stopped it. but the ball bounced around and was bundled in. Not the start we wanted.

The visitors continued to look dangerous, whenever they attacked, breaking quickly from defence and putting the Gees under pressure. There were a number of chances where they could have gone further ahead, missing from close range.

Robert Webbe was yellow carded for dissent when he felt Shawn Lyle was impeded in the visitor’s area, but the referee was not having it and Robert was the first of many to go into the book. Kieran Wright was yellow carded as well for a tackle out wide on the Gees left, when the ball was near the goal line.

Steve Betancourt received treatment on the pitch for a leg strain and shortly after went off. So more changes at the back with Kieran going back in to partner Lewis in the centre, while Luke Elgar came on at right back.

The second half was better, it had to be. Isy Nzelo made a good run on the left and delivered a low cross that unfortunately neither Shawn nor Bobby could get hold of. Shortly after that from a Robert Webbe corner Isy had another chance on goal when the ball was not well cleared, but he could not get his shot on target

The Gees had more possession and applied more pressure on their visitors and Estoban weaved his way in from the left and curled a shot that hit the far upright and bounced clear. The curse of the woodwork again.

On the visitors first attack in the second half they advanced down their left, cut in and again Tom Webb blocked the shot but the ball bounced clear to a visiting forward inside the area who put the ball in with a low shot. Gees now 2-0 down.

The Gees continued to attack and had chances, won a corner, which Robert Webbe delivered perfectly, but although Lewis Taylor met it well, it went just over.

Shawn was obstructed in the area, which the linesman flagged for, giving the Gees a penalty, which captain Lewis Taylor again put away.

More chances for the Gees but it was` not going to be their day. Onwards to Tuesday, when we hope they will return to winning ways at Wey Court.

Micheal (Stato) Stats

Teams              G’s           AFC Hayes

attempts            12                 18

on target             4                    7

corners                8                   2

fouls                     8                 20

poss% 1st          45                 55

poss%  2nd        53                 47

yellows                 3                   3



Bovril tasting:-  Intense dark body, iodised after notes and proper black pepper from a grinder.  Aahh bovril….





Scroll to top