Godalming Town FC



Godalming 1 – 4 Chipstead


When you are at the bottom of the league after nine games having been drawn to play against 9 of the top ten sides in the league in your opening games, you hope for strong performances from the team and a little bit of luck to help you get the points moving. The last thing you want is to have the team reduced to ten men in the first 30 minutes. You certainly do not want to be down to 9 men during the first half. But that was the story for the G’s.


On the plus side it has to be said that the 9 men worked their socks off as they had to.


The opening ten minutes seemed fairly even until Chipstead were allowed to move along the left flank and scored the opening goal from a shot from the left corner of the area went inside Oneal Garnes far post on 12minutes.


Chipstead’s second of the evening came 6 minutes later from Raheem Sterling-Parker from a corner on the right which seemed to be poorly defended. However the G’s did not collapse.


Almost immediately they got a goal back with the impressive Luke Perkins who picked up the ball wide on the left, just inside the visitors half running into their penalty area before slotting the ball past the keeper.


The Chipstead No 9 was proving to be a handful for the G’s defence with his pace and got beyond Chris Musgrove who was red carded for impeding him. The resulting penalty was amazing as it was chipped straight to Oneal who could not believe it.


However the Chipstead number 9 was continuing to make his presence felt getting on the end of balls over the top of the G’s defence this produced another good stop from Oneal Garnes.


Chris Wales came on for Matt Anton to bolster the defence with Ashley Lloyd dropping back into the centre back role.


Yellow card to Chipstead number 3, 8 and later No 11 for a foul on Darren Wheeler.


At the end of the first half Jake Kempton went down in the visitor’s penalty area under pressure from the defence but was yellow carded presumably for diving. It appeared that he had been cautioned earlier in the game as he was then dismissed with a red card for a second offence.


Half time  G’s 1- 2 down.


G’s then start again with 9 men. Within minutes the G’s succumbed to a third goal as they pressed forward and were caught out on the break. After that however they managed to defend efficiently, playing the offside trap very well with Lloydy marshalling the back line. Chris Wales was tireless in front of the back four, whilst in the midfield Jack Warburton was outstanding and Luke Perkins who never gave up when defending or going forward and came close to getting a second goal for the home side, but his shot went just wide in this case.


More yellow cards issued to Chipstead no 4 and no 10.


Nick Hutchings received a knock to his ankle and was eventually replaced by Rory Sellick to bring a bit of well needed energy to the G’s on about 77 minutes.


In the dying minutes as the G’s began to fade they were unable to prevent a fourth goal.


So a very disappointing outcome when after the tremendous performance against Cray Wanderers on Saturday it seemed that perhaps the G’s might be turning the corner.


A break in games for the first team now until the game in the Trophy on Oct 8th at Wroxham. So time to recover and look forward to that encounter. There is good heart to the squad and just one or two additions required. As soon as the first win comes I am sure they will find the second follows along behind, just like the buses they tell me.


Match stats;-

Stats Godalming Chipstead
Attempts 10 12
On Target 5 9
Corners 4 4
Fouls 7 22
Bookings 4 5
Possession 1st Half 46% 54%
Possession 2nd Half 53% 17%


Scroll to top