Godalming Town FC


Chipstead 2 – 0 Godalming

After that tremendous battling performance at T & M on Saturday, the quest for some more league points took the Gs and their travelling supporters to Chipstead FC on Tuesday night. After the rain and storms of the last few days it was quite surprising how well the Chipstead pitch looked. But again the Gs came away with nothing to show for their efforts.

 The Gs squad featured some new faces again, but was missing the inspirational Chris Wales and the powerful running Josh Andrew. Jack Warburton was back in the squad to bring his quality and tireless running to the midfield alongside Darren Wheeler, Jack Battie and Matt Males.

 Graeme Purdy was restored to the No 9 shirt alongside Jack Mazzone bringing back memories of the partnership that developed in matches in the South and West a few years back.

 Oneal Garnes managed to get to the game before kick- off this time, whilst George Brown made his debut at full back with Nick Hutchings alongside centre backs Kyle Bailey and Chidi Williams-Aguwarbor(CJ). Saturday’s hero goalie Chris Musgrove was on the bench alongside Ryan Zidyana, Cameron Karembo, Chris Manangu and Durrell Brown.

 It was a frustrating night for the Gs who were unable to command too much possession in the first half despite being able to put together a few passages of fine flowing passing, which always seemed to centre around Jack Warburton. They had to defend a number of corners, but did so effectively with Oneal being positive.

 After the first few minutes George Brown settled in and looked very composed at the back. However the Gs conceded just before the end of the first half.

 The second half started more positively for the visitors and a minute or two in Jack Battie found himself in possession wide on the left in the middle of the opponents half and with the keeper out of position. Unfortunately his attempted lob went wide of the mark.

 Soon after Chidi Wlliams-Aguwarbor(CJ) made a good run down the right wing and slipped the ball through to Jack Mazzone who made his way inside the box where he was brought down by the attention of two defenders. Penalty to the Gs. Unfortunately Jack hit the left hand upright and failed to convert.

 Then from a corner from the right Jack Mazzone got in a header that rattled the crossbar. Seemed like the footballing Gods were not looking favourably on the lads.

 There was a strange incident where one of the home management team lashed out at Darren Wheeler claiming Darren had elbowed him in trying to get to the ball to take a quick throw in. As I was stood between the dugouts and did not see it that way at all. The referee was happy that it only deserved a talking to with the gentleman concerned.

 The home side managed a second goal from a scramble just outside the Gs 6 yard box. Although this sealed the result the Gs kept coming forward and on the left Nick Hutchings got in a shot that just cleared the bar.

 Graeme Purdy was replaced by Chris Manangu and Ryan Zidyana replaced Matt Males.

 As one of the home supporters said ”If they had taken their chances it could have been a different result” That is probably true of every game.

 The referee brandished several yellow cards in the second half as he did in the first

Scroll to top