Godalming Town FC

East Grinstead


East Grinstead 3 – 4 Godalming Town

Three points at last!

It was a filthy night having been gently raining all day the heavens were now opening up as we arrived in EG. It turned out that only Darren had made it to the ground by 7ish and the kick off was 25 minutes away. The M 25 had struck again!

The lads eventually turned up and seven or eight of them actually made it onto the pitch for a moment or two, but they had no time for a proper warm-up.

Dan had bravely gone for an attacking set up with with 5 forward at times with Graeme Purdy and Matt Buyan leading the attack and in support Willian Efambe and Sean Mason wide on the right and Darren on the left.

Nick Sowden looking a bit lonely in the midfield and Callum Eagle at right back, Carl Garstang at left back with Chris Musgrove and Chris Wales the centre back pairing and the big man Oneal Garnes in goal. The bench was first half home for Steve Brown, Piers Oldland, Tom Webb and newcomer Joseph Stockett

So after al the pre-match drama, when they conceded a goal within the first 5 minutes to be honest our hearts sank, it was a hammer blow. In more senses than one. It was a shot from well outside the area that absolutely screamed into the top right hand corner of the net and would not have been out of place on MOTD goal of the month.

The thing that struck me though was that Darren was not phased by it at all and called the lads to get back into it and they did just that. Purdy was running around like a young gazelle and lead by example giving 110% effort as was his partner Matt Bunyan who was also making himself known to the home defenders.

Gs were actuallly doing well when on 15 minutes Darren put Sean Mason away into the box and he delivered the ball for Purdy to finish off from close range.

Shortly after Darren again was instrumental with a short ball into the box from the left which GP despatched again. Gs now in front. It was now time for the home supporters to feel unwell as the Gs were really rampant.

That man Purdy was again in the action getting into the box on the left only to be brought down by a desperate tackle and the ref blew for a penalty. Captain Darren hit it well to put the Gs 3-1 up and we were really enjoying it. Not much from the home side who looked a bit rattled.

Matt Buyan got in on the act with a thoroughly deserved goal some 5 minutes from the break putting the Gs 4-1 up and could have had another when Darren delivered yet another great ball in from the left which he met well with his head in space, but put this one wide.

The home side kept themselves in touch with a fine individual effort, just minutes before the half time whistle.

Half time 4-2 to the Gs.


Having run themselves into the ground the Gs were called upon to defend for large parts of the second half and did so well defending from the front in the increasingly boggy pitch. In fairness the pitch really stood up to the weather well and better than some of the home supporters who went home at half time, obviously not impressed with their teams performance.

They were largely limited to long shots due to the defensive efforts of a brave Gs team who were defending well, from the front in the middle and at the back. Oneal bravely clearing up speculative balls into his area when needed.

Callum Eagle was substituted as he had picked up a yellow card during an attack. Steve Brown coming on in the middle and Sean Mason going to right back. Piers also came on for William who had worked so hard and Joseph Stockett made his debut in the midfield when Darren came off for a well earned rest.

A great effort from all the lads who fought for the ball every step of the way.  They deserved to hang on and despite the nail biting at the end were well worth the result.




Scroll to top