Godalming Town FC

Eastbourne (H) Women’s SSE FA Cup

Godalming Town Ladies 3 – 2 (AET)  Eastbourne Ladies

This was a hard fought battle between two very good teams, but the Godalming Town Ladies came out on top after a bit of a nail-biting finish and go through to the next round of the SSE Ladies FA Cup.

The G’s line up was, Kim Ketchell in goal, Hannah Davies, Mairaid Wheeler and Carys Potter as the centre backs with Laura Funnell, Steph Le, Jess Winchester and Becky Bloor in the midfield and Megan Vincer, Toni West and Becky Munroe upfront. On the bench were Megan Oliver, Lauren Carnel, Charlotte Benson and Grace Merry.

The first fifteen minutes of the game were very keenly contested, but the home side had marginally more of the possession attacking the goal at the road end. Then on 17 minutes they broke the deadlock when Megan Vincer delivered a pinpoint corner from the left flank, which found Toni West who got in a powerful header past the visiting keeper.  G’s 1-0 up.

The G’s were looking strong when the lively Becky Munro got on the end of a good though ball and found herself bearing down on the visiting keeper, but her shot was hit straight at her so failed to convert this chance.

The G’s won a number corners and applied a fair bit of pressure.  However, towards the end of the first half Eastbourne started to get back into the game and created one or two half chances, but nothing much to trouble Kim Ketchell. Eastbourne’s best effort called for Kim to tip the ball over the ball from a shot from range.

Halftime 1-0 to the G’s.

At the start of the second half the G’s defence were caught at sixes and sevens in their own area and although Kim stretched to scoop the ball away the linesman called that it had crossed the goal line. 1 – 1 now and the game in the balance.

The G’s responded and upped their game. Megan Vincer was having a great game chasing everything in attack and putting in a good shift defending as well at one point running the full length of the pitch to win the ball back.

Steph Le was also putting in the miles in the centre of the pitch winning almost everything she went for and breaking up the visitors attacking efforts.

G’s won a corner on their left which Megan Vincer delivered powerfully to the near post where it found its way into the net with several G’s in close attendance. G’s back in the lead at 2- 1. Grace Merry came on for Becky Munro and got in an adventurous shot from wide on the right, which hit the visitor’s crossbar.

Megan Vincer used her pace to get around her defender and beat the keeper with a curling shot that just failed to bend enough to find the far corner of the net.

On the 77th minute the visitors drew level again when they latched onto a ball and manged to play it under Kim as she came out of goal. Score now level again at 2 – 2. Into injury time.

With the G’s again attacking the road end they won another corner on the left, which was not cleared effectively and fell to Lauren Carnel who had replaced Mairaid Wheeler midway through the second half. She took the opportunity well as she blasted a low drive through the crowd of defenders and into the net to put the G’s in front for the third time in the match.

Becky Bloor also got in on the act with a good shot that just went over the crossbar.

There was defending to do, but the G’s managed to play much of the rest of the match in their opponent’s half using Toni West to hold the ball up and continued to chase down everything.

Although both side were visibly tiring they never gave up until the final whistle came to the relief of the home side and their supporters.

A great all-round effort from all of the G’s squad. If you had to pick a Lady of the Match to award, it would be a tough job, with so many individual stars. However, Megan Vincer and Steph Le for me stood out amongst the heroines in yellow today.

Let see who they get drawn against in the next round.














from where she Gs Ladies went in front

Scroll to top