Godalming Town FC

Farnham (H) FA Cup

Godalming 3 v 0 Farnham Town (Emirates FA Cup)

A comfortable win at home for the G’s saw them advance through the preliminary stages to the next round of the FA Cup. Monday should see the draw for the First Round of the FA Cup Proper and the G’s supporters will be keeping an eye on the draw to see who they are up against.

Simon Funnell was sticking with his preferred line up as the same squad of players took to the field as against Balham on Tuesday night.

Whilst there was no lack of passion in the play the game saw very few interventions from the referee who was to be praised for his handling of the game, in contrast to Tuesday’s refereeing performance.

After 20 minutes, with the G’s attacking the road end, Shawn Lyle playing wide on the right, in front of the stand, showed some remarkable skill by receiving a high ball out of defence, which in one move of his leg he was able to cleverly play the ball over his and his markers head and further down the line. He turned and showed good speed to get down the line and deliver a low ball across the front of the visitor’s penalty area where Hakim Griffiths took it and hit a low shot inside the near post. Would have looked good on MOTD, G’s 1-0 up.

A few minutes later the G’s were awarded a free kick outside the visitor’s penalty area virtually in the same spot where Darren Wheeler scored from on Tuesday night. He hit this one sweetly, but this time the visiting keeper did well and was able to get across and turn it round for a corner.

Another Wheeler run saw him cut in from the right and get a good shot in which was blocked.

1 – 0 the home team at half time.

Early in the second half the Visitors had an opportunity when one of their forwards latched onto a long ball over the top of the G’s defence into the space behind. Only the quick responses of Aaron Bufton prevented the scores being levelled.

Almost immediately after, as the play travelled to the other end of the pitch, the hard-working Hakim Griffiths was brought down as he weaved his way into the Farnham area. Captain Lewis Taylor stepped up and put the ball into the net to put the G’s 2-0 up.

The visitors were coming under more pressure and about ten minutes later Hakim was again attacking and three visiting defenders converged on him at the same time, flattening him in the process. Again, it was the captain Lewis Taylor who despatched the second G’s penalty to put the score well out of reach.

Danny Elgar was replaced by Piers Oldland as the G’s continued to press. Darren Wheeler hit another chance that just curled wide of the upright after a good build up. The G’s were playing some good simple give and go passes.

Mert Varli came on to replace the impressive Hakim Griffiths who was applauded off the pitch with about 20 minutes to go to the end of the game. Tre Trower also came on to replace Ben Cotton.

This was a good all-round performance from the lads and they seem to be starting to gel as a team.

All those who came on made a valuable contribution and appear likely to be featuring when the two suspensions kick in.

News from the bench:

Isy Nzelo was also present, but is also carrying an injury, which we hope he recovers from soon. Kieran Wright believes he is ready to come back after his hamstring injury. It was also great to see that Graeme Purdy was training with the lads although he has not committed to sign.


Scroll to top