Godalming Town FC

Fleet Spurs (A)

Fleet Spurs 4 – 2 Godalming

Well we are at least consistent. 2-4 again. But wouldn’t it be good to be consistently winning 4 – 2 ? Or is that too much to ask for.

We visited the very friendly folk of Fleet Spurs with the memory of our last few trips to Kennels Lane last season still vivid in our minds.  Andrew and I spent an hour or so forking, sweeping and generally trying to remove the small ponds that had landed upon the Fleet Spurs pitch with Matt, Giles, Les and others alongside the Fleet guys, whilst the ref encouraged us all in the attempt to get the game under way. It all seemed to have been worthwhile as the transformation slowly took place, and with the G’s strong squad observing from the side-lines all seemed to be going well. Then a few minutes before the teams got on to the pitch the heavens opened yet again and we made our way home again muttering under our breath as the pitch gradually disappeared under the water again. But we came back for the replay and won a tight game 2-1 on that occasion.

The Gs started well and dominated the opening minutes of this game despite the wind, which was blowing an absolute gale in favour of the home side but we could not get our shots on target. You know what happens when you commit players forward with the pressure mounting on your opponents. They break quickly with long balls out of defence. In fairness their number nine Andre Smith looked a class act taking the ball well, using his pace and hitting a good shot past the G’s keeper Jordan Knight.

Fleet attacked gain quickly down their right and were able to deliver a low cross into the 6 yard area for their second goal from a tap in. The Gs continued to get lots of possession and had numerous chances but none to really trouble the home goalkeeper.

So, 2-0 down as the teams went in for half time and the rain started as well. But it would be in our favour in the second half – wouldn’t it?

No stats from Stats-Man Michael as he is away visiting Europe, while we still can. But Hendo assured me that the Gs had 8 attempts in the first half to 2 for Fleet Spurs. Who could argue with Hendo.  We certainly had plenty of chances but were just not converting them. It would all change in the second half. Indeed, from apparently nowhere the sun appeared as the wind eased and it seemed tat the Gods might at last be looking favourably upon us.

But Rory Sellick took a nasty knock in a tackle, which did not seem anything too fearsome, but saw him carried off the pitch and Liam Gadd come on to replace him.

Ollie Stevens was hauled down in the penalty area and Joe Lewis stepped up to take the spot kick to make it 2-1. Perhaps our prayers were to be answered after all.

Ollie was doing well upfront with Kenny also doing well cutting in from the wide positions. But we could not find the finishing touch needed. We hit the post and the ball rebounded conveniently straight to the home keeper. Jordan made a good save diving low to his left from an advancing Fleet forward.

Not long after a shot from a fair way out seemed to bobble its way just inside the far post to put the home side 3-1 up. Ethan Kaiser got up well from defence, but his shot just cleared the bar.

Somehow the home forward Andre Smith worked his way through the middle of the Gs defence to make it 4 – 1 before we saw Kenny yet again get down the right wing and this time his ball into the are found Ollie Stevens on hand to hit a strong header against the bar which fell on top of the home keeper and a defender cleared the ball, but the linesman flagged for a goal for the Gs.

Final score 4 – 2 to the home side. One of those games where you get punished if you do not take your chances. Looking forward to Jersey Bulls at the weekend and an early kick off at 1pm to give them a chance to get back to the airport in time.

Scroll to top