Godalming Town FC

Godalming 0 – 3 Chalfont St Peter


On a day when all the top eight teams (apart from Royston) won, Chalfont, who are just outside the play off places, will be pleased with the result which keeps them in the hunt for promotion.


The score probably flatters them when considering the possession and having to defend for large parts of the game.


The G’s were again without stalwart Nick Hutchings, but saw Steve Laidler return to the line-up.


Oneal Garnes was in goal with Charlie Hutton at right back, Graeme Purdy and Chris Musgrove the centre backs and Liam Roberts at left back, with Ashley Lloyd in front of the back four.

Piers Oldland, Louis Hutton, Steve Laidler, Will Hutton were in midfield with Danny Bassett upfront.


On the bench where Chris Wales, Iven Kumanda, Jake Kempton and Darren Wheeler.


The G’s playing towards the training pitch end started really well making two good chances in the first few minutes. The best of these fell to Danny Bassett who was played in by Piers Oldland, but despite stretching could not find the final finish a couple of yards out under pressure from the Chalfont defence, which left two of their players needing attention for several minutes.


Not long after when the G’s were awarded a free kick wide on the left, which was taken by Louis Hutton he hit it quite low towards the far post where Ashley Lloyd got a fine glancing header on it, which skidded inches past the far post. The signs were there that perhaps this was not going to be “a good day at the office” (PH).


Tony Mendy, so many times the G’s tormentor in the past, was looking lively as usual for Chalfont when they broke forward, but was being well policed by Graeme Purdy on the few occasions that he threatened in the first half.


Another free-kick from Louis Hutton saw Chris Musgrove put the ball just wide. For their part Chalfont were limited to breakaways and a few shots that went over the bar. They produced little to worry Oneal Garnes in the first 40 or so minutes.


Liam Roberts was yellow carded following a little wrestling with the Chalfont No 7 Tyrone Pink. The resulting shot from the free kick was hit straight to Oneal Garnes who claimed the ball comfortably.


The G’s were manufacturing some good approach play with quick passing moves, but were unable to find the final touch or shot to score. At the end of one of these the hard working Danny Bassett was able to advance on goal, but he could not produce a quality shot. They were also being more cautious about surrendering possession choosing the passing option well to move the ball out of several defensive positions.


However on 44 minutes Tony Mendy, who had really been quite well constrained by the Godalming defence until then, with his back to goal when the ball was partially cleared, produced a sort of overhead kick at fairly low speed that found its way into the net. Chalfont 1-0 up.


Things then got even worse for the G’s when Ashley Lloyd, received a straight red card for an offence off the ball after the referee Jim Patterson consulted with his assistant on the Stand side. A correct decision, but uncharacteristic behaviour for Ashley who has only had two bookings this season. The referee then blew for half time.


In the second half the ten men G’s were still looking to get something from the game and produced some more fine interchanging passes through the midfield with both Will and Louis Hutton involved, but could not hit the spot with the final ball.


The G’s then conceded a rather soft goal from a corner on Chalfont’s right which was floated to the back post where it dropped for Tony

Mendy to tap in from close range.


Chalfont rightly then decided to try to hang on to the ball more to see the game out. The G’s were still going for it trying to rescue something and Danny Bassett showed enormous courage and ability when he worked his way from wide on the right past a series of defenders only to be chopped down by a lunging tackle that earned the Chalfont No 3 Craig Carby a yellow card and the G’s a free kick just outside the area.


The G’s then despite being a man down went to playing three at the back with Captain Purdy moving up to the front alongside Danny Bassett.


On 68 minutes Ryan Worton came off for Chalfont to be replaced by Michael Murray whilst the G’s made a double substitution bringing on Darren Wheeler for Piers Oldland and Jake Kempton for the tireless Bassett.


There were opportunities for the G’s up to the end however and they kept pressing when they could trying to come back into the game. However the result was finally sealed when on 75 minutes a cross from wide on the Chalfont left was hit sweetly on the volley by Adam Kirby on the edge of the box and the ball rocketed into the G’s net.


Even that did not stop the G’s coming forward and they continued to press with Jake Kempton chasing everything he could and Darren Wheeler getting in some trademark runs down the left wing and crosses, but neither could influence the end result.


Steve Laidler made an impression with his energy around the pitch and Louis Hutton along with his brother Will both had fine games, as did the rest of the G’s, but in the end despite the effort could not get the G’s off the mark. The score line may not show it but there was a lot of good build up play.


It has always been the case that if you do not put away the chances that you get you will get beaten. “Stats man” Michael’s figures show that play was pretty even, but Chalfont made the best of the chances that they had.


The G’s will want to return to winning ways this Tuesday at Wey Court against Aylesbury FC.


“Stats man” Michael’s figures,


Attempts on goal: Godalming 12 Chalfont 11

On Target: G 5 C 5

Corners: G 4 C 6

Fouls : G 11 (2Offside) C 9 (1 offside)



1st 1/2: G 40% C 60%

2nd 1/2: G 60% C 40%


Bookings: Yellows: Louis Hutton, Roberts

Red: Lloyd


Scroll to top