Godalming Town FC

Godalming 1 – 2 Tooting & Mitcham

Tooting and Mitcham – 2ndFeb 2016


The Surrey Senior cup game between Godalming Town and Tooting and Mitcham finally got under way after 3 postponements due to the recent poor weather.


A reasonable crowd braved a very cold night to see Antonio Simeone a past G’s captain and fans favourite return to Wey Court with T&M as did the ex G’s assistant ,manager Paul Dale. Both will have been pleased to leave Wey Court having beaten their old club.


The G’s were without Chris Musgrove in central defence, so Ashley Lloyd was partnering Tom Willment and Liam Roberts played in front of the back four. New signing Joa Andrades was not eligible to play for the G’s.



The G’s started brightly and after less than ten minutes play a super through ball from Louis Hutton saw Graeme Purdy bearing down on goal with a couple of Tooting defenders in pursuit and the T& M keeper Cessay advancing. The G’s skipper slotted the ball low into the net.


The G’s continued to press and really dominated both the territory and possession for the first twenty minutes or so playing some attractive football in their approach play. In the middle of the park they were seemingly able to cut out any threats that the visitors could put together on the odd occasion.


Wheeler again found space on the left and delivered a couple of fine crosses to the far post, which were well defended by the T&M defenders.


At around the 30 minute mark one G’s attack from the right flank saw Will Hutton work his way in toward the area with a series of 1-2’s with his brother and Graeme Purdy, which set him up for a thunderous shot which crashed against the crossbar and bounced clear.


Had that put the G’s 2 up perhaps that would have wrapped things up .


In the last five minutes of the first half Wheeler tracking back saw the block that he made spin high into the air and land just beyond the 6 yard box where the T & M no 11 Matt Price was able to turn and hit the ball to equalise, well taken but rather against the run of play.


In the second half the visitors pressed a bit more but still failed to trouble the G’s keeper.


Another G’s attack twenty minutes into the second half saw Louis Hutton bring a good save from Cessay who turned the ball round for a corner. T & M had few efforts on target with one effort from a corner on their left being headed wide probably the nearest to being on target about 25 minutes into the second half.


Danny Bassett replaced Will Hutton who had had a fine game and worked really hard both going forwards and in defending when called upon. Bassett brought a good save from the T& M stopper and Louis Hutton , Liam Roberts all had more shots which although on target they really did not hit cleanly. In an attempt to win the game the G’s went all out for the winner bringing on the talented youngster Rory Sellick for Liam Roberts as they changed things an an attempt to win.


With time running out the G’s appeared to be unwilling to clear the ball from the edge of their area only to see The visistor s Jake Baxter receive the ball and attempt a chip of the G’s keeper Oneal Garnes which came off. 2 -1 to T&M.


Haluma Mesembe also came on for the G’s in place of Charlie Hutton to give even more fire power up front and made quite an impact in winning the ball wide in several exchanges, without being able to trouble the visitors keeper too much.


So at the end well done to Tooting and Mitcham for battling away. They managed to take the few chances that presented themselves. The hosts can take comfort from the fact that they played well for long periods and produced some fine football and dominated much of the game, but as so often in football all that counts in the end is how many goals you score.


Written by Graham Harris




Scroll to top