Godalming Town FC

Godalming Town 0 – 1 Ware


After the glorious performance at Whytefleafe on Tuesday it probably was unrealistic to expect another performance like that.


It was a game which for much of the time it seemed would end as a goalless draw and be remembered only for two unusual sights:-


1) Of a linesman who seemed to twist his knee and needed the game to be stopped for some time until he was able to carry on to see the last few minutes of the first half out before being replaced during an extended half time.


2) Joao Andrade was announced as coming on to the pitch as a replacement, only to be prevented by the other linesman because he had a ring on. He could not remove it. So, after playing with ten men for some time while team G’s physio and bench tried too remove the ring, eventually Liam Roberts came on instead.


However in the end on 80 minutes Ware scored the winner from a breakaway down their left, which got past the G’s defence and was squared to Kieran Bishop the Ware number 9 to put it into the empty net.


The G’s had started without Chris Musgrove who was unavailable, Charlie Hutton who is suffering from hamstring problem. They had Liam Roberts, Piers Oldland, Joao Andrade and a welcome sight of Rory Sellick. Chris Wales is still injured.


So the G’s started with the same team that started on Tuesday apart from Julian Sills sitting in for Chris Musgrove at centre back.


The match started with both teams having shots in the opening moments but, from them on Ware really dominated both the possession and the attempts although nothing too much on target. Ware had some 6 corners in the first half, whereas the G’ had none.


The G’s did have a couple of opportunities and one of those was a build up that left Darren wheeler in the area with the ball at his feet but he could not make it count.


Oneal Garnes was the busier of the two keepers although several attempts on his goal went well wide as both side struggled to create clear chances. Ashley Lloyd was booked for a sliding tackle on around 38 minutes.


Although there was no pitch inspection called for before the game, the pitch was very soft and boggy in places and clearly was starting to cause trouble for the players where it was cutting up. Such a change from the pristine 3G pitch that the G’s played on on Tuesday.


Half time 0-0.


The G’s won their first corner a few minutes into the second half after a delayed re-start while a replacement linesman took up his place. A scramble in the Ware goalmouth left the G’s players and supporters behind the goal screaming that the ball had crossed the line, but the claims were waived away.


Iven Kumanda was then replaced by Piers Oldland.


Oneal Garnes made a good save from a fairly long shot.


A free kick awarded to the G’s just outside the Ware penalty area was played short to Louis Hutton who hit a powerful shot that looped into the air off a defender. It dropped in the 6 yard area where Julian Sills headed against the crossbar.


Shortly after Joao Andrade was announced as replacing Danny Bassett in the number 9 role. Then ìthe ringî incident occurred, Liam Roberts finally coming on after a while, when the ring still would not come off.


The G’s were putting far more pressure on in the second half but could not convert their pressure. Nick Hutchings made a break down the left wing and finished with a shot that went just over the bar.


Shortly after he was booked for a tackle in which he was hurt.


On 80 minutes the Ware break occurred leading to the goal that separated the two sides. Shortly after the Ware no 12 brought another good save from Oneal Garnes.


By this time the combined forces of the Fire Brigade and Search and Rescue were called off as ìthe ringî was removed and Joao finally made his appearance on the pitch as Nick Hutchings was substituted.


Hopefully the weeks rest until the next game will give him a chance to recover.


Scroll to top