Godalming Town FC

Godalming Town 2-2 Leighton Town



An 88th minute equaliser from captain Ben Gallant gave lowly Leighton Town a point as Godalming Town failed to make it 4 home wins on the bounce.


The visitors, second from bottom and having lost their last 5 matches, took an early lead in a low-quality first-half courtesy of a David Brown strike. The Gs huffed and puffed before Danny Bassett scored his first goals for the club, both in the space of 4 second-half minutes, and Godalming looked set for 3 points. However, Leighton came back late on, taking advantage of a rare Richard Ossai error to claim their first away point since August.


A cold and windy Wey Court wasn’t the most appealing of places to be, and with the town’s annual Christmas market taking place it was no surprise the crowd was the lowest of the season for a league game, and the watching faithful were left stunned when the Reds took a 14th minute lead. Aaron McKee’s free kick into the box was poorly defended by Godalming and David Brown, having a fine scoring season from full-back, gleefully stabbed home his 4th goal of the campaign.


Leighton, thrashed 7-1 by AFC Rushden midweek, did look susceptible at the back and the returning Will Hutton drove at their defence before slipping in Bassett, but the striker dragged his shot wide from an angle despite George Frith being well placed in the centre.


Minutes later Frith set up Bassett, who shot wide, but as the first-half wore on the Gs struggled to create many openings, with their final effort of the opening 45 a long-range attempt by Liam Roberts, which clipped Jordan Gurney before fizzing wide.


The introduction of new signing Haluna Masembe in the 58th minute provided the hosts with some much needed thrust and pace in the attacking third, and he should have leveled 10 minutes after his introduction, glancing a Darren Wheeler free kick wide when well placed.


Godalming did level with 15 minutes remaining. Though far from the most attractive goal seen at Wey Court it will be remembered for being Bassett’s maiden for the Gs, with the former Staines Town man the first of many bodies to react after Frith’s shot rebounded off the post and back into the box.


With the wind in their sails Godalming soon rushed into the lead for the first time. Frith played Bassett in, the forward timing his run well, and he coolly slotted the ball beneath the advancing Bradley Kirkwood. With just over 10 minutes remaining it looked like Andy Hunt’s men had dug themselves out of a hole, but it wasn’t to be the case, as Leighton levelled it up with just 2 minutes to play.


Alex O’Brien’s free kick should have been routine for Ossai but he spilt it, and Gallant was on hand to force home the loose ball, prompting scenes of delight amongst the travelling players.


The Gs will look to bounce back from the disappointment at Egham on Tuesday night, in the Red Insure Cup, before they travel to Aylesbury United on Saturday.


Scorers: Bassett 75’, 78’; Brown 14’, Gallant 88’


Attendance: 108


XI: Ossai; Wales, Gray, Willment, Lloyd; Laidler, Roberts (Masembe 58’); Frith, Wheeler, Hutton; Bassett.


Not used: Musgrove, Sellick, Beswick, Edwards.


Match Photos

Scroll to top