Godalming Town FC

Hanwell Town 1-2 Godalming Town



Godalming Town secured back-to-back victories after running out 2-1 winners at Hanwell Town, a team that did the double over the Gs last season.


After an utterly dominant first-half the visitors had only a superb Adam Cornell finish to show for their efforts, though when Lee Rushe nodded in his first Godalming goal early in the second period it looked like the floodgates would open. However, the Gs slowly allowed Hanwell back into the game and they had their chances, ultimately Danny Bennell’s stoppage time goal coming too late.


Andy Hunt stuck with the same XI that beat Bedford Town on Saturday and his team soon found themselves on top, with Nick Hutchings drilling into the side netting 5 minutes in. Will Hutton shot wide from distance before Darren Wheeler curled a free kick over, and in the 19th minute a great period of possession resulted in Louis Hutton shooting tamely at Cain Davies.


However they finally got their goal shortly after when Cornell watched a long ball from Tom Willment bounce over his shoulder before unleashing a fine first-time finish over Cain and into the corner from just outside the box for his second goal of the season.


The dominance of the visitors continued after the goal, Louis Hutton firing over the bar before Bennell produced a smart block to deny Wheeler. Cain denied Will Hutton on the stroke of half-time but for all their possession and supremacy they lacked penetration, and the Gs had just 1 goal to their name.


Wheeler shot at Cain as the second-half started in similar fashion to the first, and in the 50th minute goal number two finally game. After Wheeler was fouled on the left channel Will Hutton sent a pinpoint free kick towards Rushe, and the defender thundered home a header for his first Godalming goal, leaving Cain with no chance.


However, after doubling their lead Godalming seemed to switch off and Hanwell slowly gained confidence. Ben Gill’s free kick that stuck the bar via a deflection off the wall would have been a fortuitous goal for the hosts, but by the time substitute Ricky Pither’s tap in was chalked off for offside in the 77th minute the Geordies were the side forcing the issue.


Callum Duffy headed over before Hanwell got a goal in the 1st minute of injury time, Bennell nodding in Gill’s corner. There was brief panic for the Gs – 2 points dropped would have been desperately disappointing given the first-half dominance – but Richard Ossai produced a crucial save to deny Bennell with seconds remain and preserve the Godalming victory.


Potters Bar Town travel to Wey Court on Saturday before a double-header over the Bank Holiday weekend, starting with Marlow away in the FA Cup before a visit to local rivals Fleet Town on Monday 31st.


Scorers: Bennell 90 +1’; Cornell 22’, Rushe 50’


Attendance: 127


Godalming Town XI: Ossai; C. Hutton, Hutchings, Willment, Rushe; Laidler, L. Hutton (Mazzone 53’), W. Hutton; Frith, Cornell (Purdy 63’), Wheeler (Roberts 85’).


Subs not used: Musgrove, Lunn.


Match Photos

Scroll to top