Godalming Town FC

Herne Bay

Godalming Town 3 – 2 Herne Bay


Godalming finally won their first three points of the season against Herne Bay.


With player/manager Darren Wheeler having been red carded against Wroxham and therefore unable to take part in matters on the pitch for the next few games he was confined to the stands. However Dean Thomas was in the dugout.


The Gs named Oneal Garnes in goal, Rory Sellick at right back Chris Musgrove and Adam Brice as centre-back pairing and Nick Hutchings at left back and Chris Wales playing in front of the back four. The central midfield comprised Will Hutton and Jack Warburton with Luke Perkins and Piers Oldland in the wide positions while Jake Kempton returned up front. Jaz Ratteray–Smith was named on the bench with Goncalves Christiano.


The return of the mercurial Will Hutton saw him linking brilliantly with Jack Warburton and Luke Perkins in some sumptuous passing moves to equal those that we saw last season and really outplayed the visitors in the first half. Short accurate first time passes saw them cutting through the opposition time after time.


The Gs went ahead after 17 minutes when Jake Kempton claimed the slightest of touches on a high cross/shot from Jack Warburton from wide on the left as the home side attacked the road end. This followed some great team work in the approach play.


The sense of adventure seemed to be rubbing off on the rest of the team as Chris Wales was finding himself getting forward as was Nick Hutchings who almost got on the score sheet himself, but shot narrowly wide after a great run.


After playing so well and dominating affairs the Gs got caught when a long clearance from the visitors was swung out to the left where Stuart Zanone was able to lift a chipped shot over the advancing Oneal Garnes to make it 1-1.


The Gs did not allow this to upset them and went back on the attack and with 5 minutes to go of the first half Nick Hutchings made a run deep into the opposition half slipping the ball beautifully through to Jack Warburton to run on and go around the Herne Bay keeper and slide the ball into the net. So 2 – 1 to the home team at half-time.


Early in the second half, having played about 10 minutes, Herne Bay produced a diagonal cross from their right flank into the Gs box, which was met really well by Mark Lovell, the striker heading powerfully past Oneal Garnes to make it 2-2.

Jake Kempton was booked for kicking the ball away. There appeared to be a couple of other strange bookings.


The powerful running Luke Perkins had been hobbling since a couple of early challenges in the first half and after another left him receiving treatment on the pitch was then substituted for Jaz Ratteray-Smith.


Will Hutton produce a great delivery from the free kick to the far post where Chris Musgrove was able to head the Gees in front again for the third time.  3 – 2 Final result.


The performance showed great character and responsibility from the likes of captain Chris Wales, who was outstanding in leading the squad, Nick Hutchings who got forward well in this game, Oneal Garnes who had a fine commanding performance in goal, taking everything in the air comfortably and the versatile ever energetic Rory Sellick who was asked to play at right back today again and did well. It was a great lift for the lads and the supporters.


Great to be able to say “we won” again.


Now we need to think about Tuesday and the visit of Whyteleafe before the trip to the Channel Islands next Sunday.




Michael’s Match Stats

Gs        Herne Bay

attempts                      16               7

on target                        6              3

corners                          3               9

fouls                            12               16

bookings                       3                1

poss 1st Half             60%           40%

poss 2nd Half           40%           60%

Scroll to top