Godalming Town FC

Knaphill (H)

Godalming 1 v 4 Knaphill

Football is a “funny old game” and “ a game of two halves”. We have heard it all before, but it is absolutely true of the G’s at the moment. The first half was pretty even with both sides having chances and for the first twenty minutes the Gs were on top.

When the G’s hosted Knaphill it was a chance to see an old favourite at Wey Court from a few years back one George Frith who suffered a bad knee injury after he left the Gs and when I last saw him his leg was in a brace. He said he was determined to get back and it was good to see that he has done it even if he did pop the last goal in against us at the death.

Anyway, the Gs were without Aaron Bufton in goal as he was unavailable (he had also damaged a finger). I understand that a replacement keeper had been arranged, but he suffered a damaged shoulder so that Simon Funnell was left chasing round for a keeper who was signed on Friday. A good keeper he turned out to be too. Ryan Burbidge putting on the gloves. Darren was getting married so a fair excuse for not being available.

Isy Nzelo was at right back in place of Joe Smith who had a head injury the week before. Captain Lewis Taylor was at left back Ashley Lloyd and Steve Betancourt centre backs, midfield Scott Elgar, Piers Oldland, Ben Cotton, Tre Trowers, with Hakim Griffiths and Shawn Lyle up-front. On the bench were Joe Smith, Mert Varli, Eugene Bongo, Danny Elgar and Kieron Wright.

An early attack saw a super shot from Shawn tipped over the bar by the visiting keeper at full stretch. Shortly after, on about 20minutes the Knaphill No4 committed a late tackle with studs up on Scott Elgar, which saw him taken off and replaced by his brother Danny. The referee gave a yellow, but the G’s will recall occasions when they have had players sent off for lesser offences. The same player committed a fierce tackle player a minute or two earlier, which the referee seemed to let go.

So at Half time it was 0 -0 and all to play for.

Early in the first half the G’s created a good passing move found Danny Elgar in the 6 yard area but again the shot was well saved by the visiting keeper at close range. However, the G’s seemed to get there break when shortly after the mercurial Hakim Griffiths got into the penalty area and was bundled to the ground by three defenders. Up stepped Lewis Taylor to put the G’s 1-0 up from the penalty spot.

But from then on with the G’s seeming to be under little pressure Ashley Lloyd was judged to have pushed an opposition player in the box, so a penalty for the visitors, which brought the scores level.

From there on things just went downhill for the home team. Knaphill had some serious pace on the wings and they were now getting their speedsters into the middle of the pitch looking to get on to the end of some high balls over the defence. This tactic worked and put them ahead.

The G’s were attacking at the other end, but that of course exposed them for the counter attack. The G’s nearly got one back towards the end but could not convert. Final goal (4th) for the visitors sealed it when it came from George Frith after he came on early in the second half proving how much work he must have put in.


G’s         Knaphill

Attempts                      15               11

on target                       11                5

corners                            2                0

fouls                               16                9

possession% 1st           54              46

possession% 2nd         49               51

Yellow Card                      1                  1


Scroll to top