Godalming Town FC

Molesey (FA Cup)

Molesey 0 – 2 Godalming

Godalming Town progressed comfortably into the next round of the FA Cup with a 2-0 victory against a Molesey side that is still finding its feet after a change in management and players during preseason.

For the G’s, Graeme Purdy returned to the starting line-up after having come off injured last Saturday and Darren Wheeler who seemed to be carrying an injury also started for the Gs. Godalming had three players that were cup tied including Matt Anton. New signing Kassim Sandah started on the bench alongside Piers Oldland and Goncalves Christiano.

Oneal Garnes was between the posts with George Spiers partnering Chris Musgrove in the heart of the defence with Nicholas Medcraft and Nick Hutchings. Ashley Lloyd was in front of the back four.

The midfield was made up of Tristan Campbell, Rory Sellick and Darren Wheeler, with Jake Kempton and Captain Graeme Purdy upfront.

Godalming started brightly from kick off and on 5 minutes, Darren Wheeler shot from outside the box and had to be tipped over the bar by Liam Allen in the Molesey goal. A cross in the box from Wheeler was met by the head of Purdy who couldn’t get anything on it.

Molesey then came and attacked the G’s defence, they came close on 7 minutes, Tom Windsor shot went over the bar. Moles then had a corner, Oneal Garnes came to punch the ball but then had to be cleared away by Nick Hutchings close to the line.

A Darren Wheeler free kick on 21 minutes was deflected over the bar and then Jake Kempton had a shot saved by the Molesey keeper a few minutes later.

On 30 minutes, G’s allowed Molesey’s Akuruka to run down the wing, get the cross into the box and Somuyiwa came close with the header but had gone too far to get a good head to the ball.

Godalming’s first goal came on 41 minutes when Wheeler put in a cross from the left and was met by an unmarked Jake Kempton to sweetly slot the ball in the back of net to the roar of the G’s supporters behind the goal. The G’s then doubled their lead on the stroke of half time, a mix up between Allen in goal and his defenders allowed Graeme Purdy after the ball fell to him to slot the ball into the Molesey empty net.


Half Time: Molesey FC 0 – 2 Godalming Town


There were no changes made at half time from either team. Molesey started the 2nd half better and had a couple of attempts but nothing to trouble Oneal Garnes in the Godalming goal.

On 65 minutes, Tom Windsor put a ball through to Nwoko but was offside. Harry Frost tried an attempt at goal but couldn’t get past a strong G’s defence.

Godalming made a couple of changes, with Kassim Sandah making his debut, replaced Darren Wheeler and Piers Oldland replaced Jake Kempton.

Sandah looked quick and made a run at the Moles defence but couldn’t get a shot on goal.

With 10 minutes to go, Nick Hutchings picked up a loose ball, took it around a couple of defenders then had a shot saved by the Molesey keeper.

G’s then made a final change on 86 minutes with Christiano replacing Graeme Purdy. Godalming then held on for the final few minutes to the delight of the G’s supporters who made the short trip from Godalming.

Staines Town will welcome Godalming on Saturday 3rd September in the 1st qualifying round.

Match Stats by “Stat Man” Michael and his mum:


Statistics Molesey Godalming
Attempts 17 10
On Target 9 6
Corners 7 3
Fouls 16 18
Possession (1st Half) 48% 52%
Possession (2nd  Half) 70% 30%
Bookings 2 3

Molesey (FA Cup)
Scroll to top