Godalming Town FC

Sutton Common Rovers (A)


Sutton Common Rovers 3 – 0  Godalming Town

This was the first chance for the new management team to have a look at their squad in a match situation.

Gav Smith was assisted by the Mr Reliable of GTFC Adam Rootes on the day, as his co-manager Jon Palmer was away on business and the team that took to the pitch included five new faces and some that we have not seen for a while.  The whole squad is on the GTFC Twitter page. A statement about who is available and who is not is also on the website. Looks like there are quite a few that want to show Jon and Gav what they can do on the pitch, over the next few games.

We also saw a very welcome return of Scott Elgar in the midfield bringing his energy and nifty footwork. The influential Ben Cotton was with the squad, but is still nursing an injury.

Steve Betancourt took the captain’s armband on a day when the weather was unpredictable, having seen some powerful down pours in the morning and extreme high winds that meant anything played in the air could end up anywhere.

There was plenty of energy in the Gees as they started and of course with half the squad never having played together before and the manager never having seen them before and playing against a very physical opposition, it was always going to be tough.

However, in the end the Gees new back line contrived to generously give away a couple chances for the hosts first two goals. Piers Oldland never disappoints and in the first half got the only decent shot on goal for the Gees.

Gavin was bound to make changes and he did. The set up looked better in the second half.

Bobby Bennett came on for Khalid Senusi and was lively from the off. The impressive Kieran Wright also came on for Kurt Greenaway and Hailu Theodros came on for Scott Elgar.

Isy Nzelo looked very impressive going forward on the left using his pace and skill and on one occasion delivered a great diagonal through ball to Bobby Bennett after cutting in from the left leaving his marker in floor.  Gurken Gokmen made some powerful runs and hit a good shot that was the only one to really trouble the home keeper

Then in an incident where Hakim Griffiths (who was starting to find some space and turning defenders) while going past a defender appeared to be upended dramatically. But the referee was not going to give it.  Unfortunately, Hakim continued to debate the matter with the linesman and Steve also got involved. Both were given second yellow cards and the Gees were down to nine players.

Dimitrios Kyriatkis was superb in goal for the Gees and thwarted several attacks. But after some more Gees pressure the home side broke down their right and a cross to the far post was the result, being headed in at the far post.

So presumably come next Saturday against Chertsey we will see some of those who did not make it onto the pitch today.



Scroll to top