Skipper Beale Shows the Way

Report by Graham Harris
Godalming (0) 1 – 0 (0) Oakwood
Once again some regular faces missing for this fixture including Connor Young, Lucca Scanella, James Colinese (Failed fitness test before game) Joss Witter and Matt Cox to mention just a few, but Connor Blanchard and Sam Boultwood were both available, so the G’s still had plenty of talent to dominate the possession and territory in this one, although they didn’t manage to convert their opportunities into goals.
However, we did come away with all three points and at the end of the day that is what counts.
Ethan Fishpool was at right wing back as he was on Saturday. He was alongside Sam Taylor and Luke Beale with Myles Davidson coming in for the injured James Colinese making up the three centre backs in front of Adrian Giles in goal. James Frudd moved to left wing back, after a good performance on Saturday when he was playing a bit further up the pitch.
Sam Boultwood came back into the midfield where he has been so influential again so far this season with Jahobi Maher and Kurt Greenaway with Cameron Edwin and Connor Blanchard up front. The subs on the bench were Ollie Ballam; Byron Watt; George Masella and Vinny Martin.
The first half saw the G’s come close on several occasions with two excellent chances falling for Connor and Cameron to head home, but neither of them managed to get the right contact to just steer the ball home, when on another day they probably would have done.
There were a few shots from Boults as well as he managed to cut through the visitor’s defence with some nifty footwork, but again could not find the back of the net.
It was a bit fiery at times with quite a few strong tackles being made, which left the ref busy taking names, probably a few more of the Oakwood players than the G’s going into his book.
Yet again I think, apart from having to deal with a few high balls from corners and free kicks, Adrian had little really to do to get his knees dirty apart from one save. A credit to the guys in front of him.
So, 0 -0 at half time and you worry when after having so many opportunities that the G’s could not convert, whether they might be undone by a rash penalty as was the case against Worthing on Saturday.
During the second half again the G’s created plenty of attacking opportunities with James Frudd showing his pace in getting down the left wing as Ethan did on the right. Defensively all seemed to be well organised with any attacks that got beyond the G’s midfield being carefully mopped up by the three central defenders.
In the end it was from one of our numerous attacks that ended with the visitors conceding a corner that the goal arrived. Jay delivered and captain Luke Beale beautifully met it and produced a great header down, as the text books suggest, to finally break the deadlock. Andrew has it recorded well on video for Luke to enjoy.
He almost repeated the feat a few minutes later, but the Oakwood defenders were able to clear the ball off the line this time. Again, Andrew our super camera man captured this.
There were plenty of other openings for both Connor; Boults; Fruddie and Cameron who delivered a particularly fine shot after a good ball into him, but the visiting keeper made another great reaction stop on the line with his foot.
Byron came on for Boults for the last 20 minutes, soon followed by George Masella and Vinny Martin both from the youth team. It is good to see them getting game time in the senior squad. They both show great promise and play with confidence.
This leaves the G’s temporarily in 4th place in the league just behind Epsom and Ewell although we have both played one more game than most teams in the top 10 but we are trending in the right direction and must be one of the on form sides.
Next up it is Arundel on Saturday.