Rampant G’s Thrash Ash

Report by Graham Harris
Godalming 5(2) v (1)) 2 Ash United
Another reallygood performance from the G’s saw them come back from being one down to advance in the Aldershot Senior Cup against their neighbours and old rivals Ash United.
The G’s were without Sam Boultwood, John Coussens and Matt Cox and started with Kurt Greenaway, Connor Blanchard and James Frudd all on the bench to give them a rest. Also on the bench were Josh Witter and Tobias Sims. But, Cameron Edwin was back from his suspension.
Rob Parrot moved to right back alongside Luke Beale and Ollie McAleese with James Colinese back from injury on the left, as the back four in front of Adrian Giles in goal.
The midfield was Lucca Scanella, Elijah Carter and Jahobi Maher with Connor Young and Cameron Edwin as the wide players and Charlie Oakley in the number 9 shirt.
The G’s put on a terrific show from the start chasing and harrying their opponents at every opportunity. They were winning possession back in the midfield and getting shots in on goal. So, it was against the run of play when after 12 minutes Ash went ahead. They had won their first corner. That was part cleared to midway between the half way line and the penalty area where it fell to an Ash player. I heard the call to “Just hit it”, and he did just that. A cracking strike that found the corner of the net.
Then about 5 minutes later from another good attack down the G’s right wing, playing towards the road end, the ball was driven low across the face of the Ash goal and Cameron was sliding in at pace but could not get the contact needed to just push the ball across the line. Great to see Cameron back at his energetic best.
Then, within minutes captain Luke Beale won the ball around the halfway line and drove forward down the right passing a couple of defenders before hitting a good low shot across the face of the goal and inside the far post. That’s what you want to see from your captain when you have unexpectedly conceded. Back to 1-1.
The whole G’s squad in fairness was playing well and producing more good passing football than we have seen for a while. Charlie was getting some half chances up front and it just felt that a goal was going to come.
Three shots came in short succession the first from Cameron which was blocked by the Ash keeper. The rebound was hit by Charlie Oakley and the keeper again blocked it before the final attempt from Connor Young which went just wide.
G’s won a corner, which was delivered by Jahobi to the near post where Charlie was waiting to turn the ball in with his head. G’s now 2-1 ahead.
With around 5 minutes to the break Ash got their second shot on goal and it went wide.
A great fist half performance from the home side.
Early in the second half James Colinese was replaced by Josh Witter. I guess to protect his ankle.
After the Gs won an corner on their left at the training pitch end the ball was delivered in well by Jay and Ollie Mc Aleese rose to head home for the Gs third goal. All going really well.
The G’s launched an attack through the middle and the visiting keeper came well out of his goal mouth. Connor Young picked up the ball and took the opportunity to hit a high lob straight into the net to put them 4 -1 up.
There was more to come when Jay found himself in possession beyond the Ash penalty are slightly to the right of goal, where he managed to find space, despite the attentions of a couple of defenders and hit a low shot to make it 5-1 to the home team.
Tobias Sims came on for Rob Parrot at right back and Lucca also came of for Kurt Greenaway to stretch his legs.
Elijah was coming forward more and manged a couple of attempts, but both flew over the bar. Unlike Elijah.
Ash were not keen on giving up and at the end they got a deserved consolation goal to bring the score to 5 -2 from a corner that was not effectively cleared by the G’s defence.
All in all a very good performance and 5 different goal scorers on the night. No player had a poor game and it shows what strength we have in depth at the moment.
COYG’s .