3 More Points – Storrington

Report by Graham Harris
Godalming 2 (1) v (0) 0 Storrington
When the Gs played Storrington at their grounds, back in October, they had to come back from 1-0 down at half time with goals from James Frudd and the winner from Elijah Carter. It was played in terrible weather conditions with rain lashing down throughout the match and the roads on the journey home were seriously flooded.
We saw a glimmer of sunshine as we came in to Wey Court, but there were some threatening black clouds above. Fortunately, the rain stayed away for young Charlie to come on with the team as the Mascot for the day. Hope he enjoyed it.
From a look at the team selection on the board you could see that Phil was continuing to rotate the team to best cater for the run of games that we are faced with. Connor Blanchard, Rob Parrott, Jon Coussens and James Frudd all started on the bench. Adrian Giles was in goal, Matt Cox, Luke Beale, Ollie McAleese and Lucca Scanella made up the back four. James Mariner played in front with Sam Boultwood Jahobi Maher and Kurt Greenaway as the midfield, Charlie Oakley in the number 9 shirt, alongside Cameron Edwin.
From the off the Gs took the game to their guests and had the ball in the net after only three minutes play, but the ref awarded a free kick for a high kick, which saw a Storrington defender receive treatment before continuing.
Then it was Kurt’s turn to receive treatment as he went off to be patched up before returning to play.
There was a lot of pressure created by the home side who were generally quicker to the ball and seemed to be able to snuff out their visitors attempts to build anything. Lucca made some great precise passes down the line. But, despite their domination, the Gs final shot was often wayward.
Then, out of the blue, Storrington started a move down their left before crossing to the far side of the goal and only a spectacular run and block from Ollie Mc Aleese stopped the shot, but in doing so he clearly hurt himself and needed treatment.
Boults got in a second attempt that was a real screamer, but went narrowly wide, like so many Gs attempts before.
Charlie made a good run down the right wing and delivered a great ball across the front of the goal but Cameron just could not get his head to it.
With this sort of domination, but no result in the way of goals, after a while it makes you wonder if your team might get bitten on the bum.
Charlie with another ball in from the right, but neither Jay or Cam could provide the finishing touch.
Lucca picked up a yellow card and Storrington had a free kick just outside the Gs area.
Finally, after so many chances and corners, the Gs made it count when James Mariner headed home from a corner.
At half time Ollie Mc Aleese having received further treatment on the pitch was replaced by Connor Blanchard. It Looked as if they had gone to three at the back.
Yellow card to Storrington number 11.
Great overhead kick from Cameron, which went just wide of the target.
Kurt picked up a yellow card for a rash tackle in the middle of the pitch.
Then, finally the Gs got their second goal to settle the game, the supporter’s nerves and give the Gs a bit of a buffer. It was Matt Cox, who has been playing so well recently. Always battling for the ball and getting forward more recently. He won the ball and broke down the right in towards the area and hit a left footed curling shot that hit the far post and came back across the face of the goal where, like all good strikers, Charlie Oakley was in the right place to pounce and put the ball away.
Jay hit a great cross in from the right and Charlie got a fine glancing header on it that was going in before the visiting keeper produced a superb dive low to his right to save.
It was all Gs pressure now. Kurt was brought off and Jon Coussens came on to bolster the defence.
Right at the death Jon nearly got an assist when he made it to the far post at a corner and headed back across the goal where Charlie again brought a terrific save from the Storrington stopper.
All in all, another good performance from all of the Gs including Rob Parrott when he came on for Boults.
Another three points and another clean sheet. Luke Beale again with some timely and brave interceptions to break up play when required.
All the defence were so strong and I cannot recall a single serious shot on Adrian’s goal throughout the second half. Take a bow all of you.
The Gs are on the road again for the next couple of games. Off to Billingshurst on Tuesday and then to Worthing on Saturday.