Not Our Night V Nottsborough

Report by Graham Harris
Godalming 1 (1) v (0) 2 Nottsborough
This was yet another cup competition and it was called the Surrey FA Premier Cup. All very confusing to a simple man who had believed until a few days ago that we were down to play Roffey in the League Cup (Division 1 Challenge Cup) because that is what it said on the FA Full Time website at the time. It also said we were due to play the The Peter Bentley Cup game against Pagham at The Bill Kyte Stadium next Tuesday, but apparently that has been moved to Pagham for some strange reason. All beyond me.
Anyway, the line-up tonight was different to what we have seen recently with clearly a few players being rested or not available. So, Adrian in between the sticks, Jahobi Maher James Mariner, Jon Coussens and Kurt Greenaway making up the back four. Sam Boultwood (captain for the night) with Rob Parrott in the middle. Connor Blanchard and James Frudd as the wide players and Charlie Oakley and Cameron Edwin upfront. On the bench Elijah Carter, Ollie Mc Aleese, Luke Beale, Lucca Scanella and Ollie Ballam.
I am told that Nottsborough qualified having beaten Dorking Wanderers after a penalty shoot-out when the score was at 3-3.
All in all, it was fairly even for much of the first half. Sam Boultwood needed treatment on the pitch before being subbed off and replaced by Lucca who dropped in at left back, while Kurt moved into his more normal midfield position. This after only 30 minutes of the first half. Charlie Oakley took the captain’s armband.
Then 2 -3 minutes later came that tremendous strike from Jahobi. He produced a left footed strike from well outside the area to put the Gs in the lead. It remained like that with neither side getting many clear chances at all until late in the first half when Adrian was penalised for handling the ball outside of his area, when he came out to clear a ball. The referee decided that he should give a red card and so Gilsey had to walk. I could understand a free kick, but it did not seem more than that to me. Ho Hum.
Down to ten men and James Frudd sacrificed to get the impressive Ollie Ballam on off the bench and he deserves a chance. His first job was to defend the free kick that was awarded, which fortunately went high of the crossbar.
All seemed to be going quite well in the second half for the home side, but clearly the visitors had nothing to lose, so stepped up their attacks. James Mariner came off for Ollie McAleese to make an appearance. Good to see him back having been out for a while.
Ollie Ballam produced a fine save from a free kick just outside the box that Gilsey would have been proud of, getting up well to tip the ball over the bar as it was heading towards the top corner of the goal.
Unfortunately, the relief did not last long, as from the corner, the clearance was not maintained and Nottsborough attacked down their left before squaring past Ollie for a tap in on the other side of the goal. Now 1 -1 but only minutes left to play for the ten men.
Unfortunately, we gave away a penalty with a robust tackle near the goal line out to the left right at the death.
A disappointment not to hold on, but a much more important game against Roffey on Saturday. We I think it will be Roffey, but who knows?