Cometh the Hour Cometh the Maher

Report by Graham Harris
Godalming 2 (0) v (1) 1 Forest Row
Despite conceding strangely within 10 minutes of the start, the Gs came back in the second half by way of two goals from Ollie Mc Aleese and Jahobi Maher to take all three points. The Gs dominated both the territory and possession stats throughout the game and could well have had a hatful of goals.
The Gs were without Charlie Oakley, Rob Parrott, Lucca Scanella and James Colinese, but Ethan Fishpool was warming up on the pitch with the lads, which was good to see after such a long layoff with injury.
So, the Gs line up was: – Adrian Giles in goal, Matt Cox, Luke Beale, Ollie Mc Aleese and Myles Davidson as the back four, Kurt Greenaway, Sam Boultwood and Elijah carter in the middle. Connor Blanchard, Cameron Edwin and James Frudd up front.
Ross Cheek, Jahobi Maher, James Mariner, Tobias Sims and Jack Smith made up the bench.
After going one behind, the Gs laid siege to the FR goal, but could not get their attempts on target. Elijah Carter the first of several to shoot just wide. Sam Boultwood went into the referee’s book after a couple of other tackles, from both sides, that the ref had just had a chat about.
After some good work by Connor Blanchard he played the ball in and Boults got in the final shot, which disappointingly went over the top.
Minutes later Cameron then put an attempt just past the upright. Soon after the visiting number 2 went into the referee’s book.
As the Gs continued to pressurise the visitors goal, at the training pitch end, Cameron headed over from a corner. It looked frustratingly as if the Gs could just not get the final touch/shot to equalise. Elijah hit the crossbar with a corner, but the ball just slid away and was finally cleared.
So, 0-1 down at half time, despite so much pressure from the home side.
Only minutes into the second half Sam Boultwood battled his way forward and played the ball across the face of the FR goal again, frustrating for the home side that no one could get the final touch to put it in.
The home side see another attempt hit the crossbar before the rebound falls to Connor Blanchard who takes his time, but puts his shot over the bar.
The Gs were awarded a free kick which Boults lofts forward to where Luke Beale got in a good header that is palmed away by the visiting keeper diving at full stretch for a corner.
There was then a double substitution with Elijah Carter and Sam Boultwood both coming off, to make way for Ross Cheek and Jahobi Maher.
Both Kurt Greenaway and the FR number 13 went into the ref’s book.
Finally with about 20 minutes of the game left Jahobi took one of his left footed free kicks out on the right that Ollie got to with a glancing header and the ball nestled inside the far post to draw the score level.
The Gs continued to batter the Forest Row defence in an attempt to get another goal. but it held firm with some desperate defending.
Fruddy got through from a long ball and hit a shot that was saved by the keeper. The rebound also produced another shot, but it bounced out from a defender’s block to give another G’s corner.
Connor Blanchard came off for Jack Smith to come on. Again, the ball goes across the front of the FR goal twice without anyone getting the final tap in.
The deciding goal came from another Jahobi free kick. This time from left of the goal bending around the wall to leave the keeper standing looking. 2-1 now to the Gs.
With the clock ticking down Cameron got through on goal, but again he seems to have got the same bug and hit his shot over the bar.
But the Gs take all the points and they deserved them. That moves them into 5th place and into contention for the play-off places.
Next up the much-postponed fixture against Pagham from the Premier League in the Peter Bentley Cup on Tuesday night, if the weather holds.