Spoils Shared with Seaford

Report by Graham Harris
Godalming 2 (2) V (1) 2 Seaford
The G’s saw their early two goal lead whittled away in a game that saw little passing football and far too many interruptions for various infringements and free kicks etc. It leaves the Gs in third place with a game in hand on the teams above them.
Seaford started the better of the two sides in the opening minutes and pressed the G’s goal and won a couple of corners. But the home defence looked solid and no chances arose from them.
Then the first goal came from Rikki Letch chasing down the ball as the visiting keeper came out to clear it. He blocked the clearance with his chest and the ball rebounded into the net with the Seaford keeper scrambling back after it.
The game was a scrappy affair, but then the pitch was still as bumpy as ever and despite the recent downpour and a few light showers the dust was still flying as the players tore about the pitch.
Alfie Mickley was in goal, no Matt Cox today, so Connor Blanchard dropped back to right back with Luca Scannella at left back and Luke Beale and James Colinese the centre back pairing. Kurt Greenaway, Rob Parrott and Liam Avery in the middle with Sam Boultwood in the number 9 shirt and Rikki Letch and James Frudd as the wide players. The sad news is that Fruddy is now leaving as he will be working in Leeds. I am sure all the fans will miss him and would like to join me in wishing him well for the future. Perhaps he will look up the Hutton brothers when he is up there.
On the bench were Jason Cotton, James Mariner, Dan Mills and Ollie McAleese and last week’s goal scorer Jack Smith.
A long clearance from Alfie saw the ball encouraged forwards and Sam Boultwood got on the end and pirouetted like a ballet dancer and accelerated for five or so metres to set himself for a shot that found the inside of the far post to put the G’s comfortably 2 – 0 up. All seemed under control.
Seaford won a couple of corners and Alfie had to be alert to turn a close-range attempt around for another corner.
Then the ref awarded a free kick to Seaford outside the G’s area. There was nothing other than a normal challenge that I saw, but I was a lot further away than the ref. Then after much badgering from Seaford players the ref went to the linesman, on the Rugby Club side and had a chat and altered his decision to a penalty. So it was that Seaford pulled one back, just before half time to make it 2-1 at the break.
Rob Parrott got scythed down in a challenge, but the ref was having none of it and booked Rob for his protest. I am not sure whether Rob was also sin binned a few minutes later.
Seaford drew level with a close-range header from a good cross from out wide on their left flank.
Luca was down injured for a while and after receiving treatment was replaced by Ollie McAleese. Jack Smith then came on for Rikki just after he had delivered a searching ball into the six- yard box, which pinged up off a defender’s foot and flew just over the bar. Many relieved visiting defenders.
With around 15 minutes left the G’s were pressing and at a corner Ollie was booked for pulling down the visiting keeper. The keeper then received treatment for some time on his lower back. There were then some more dubious challenges going in from both sides with Jack Smith and Liam Avery on the end of some of it but their complaints were waived away.
A few minutes after the restart the ref then spent some time talking to the Seaford management team and may have booked some of them. I saw no cards.
All in all, an entertaining match, but not a great game of football.
FA Vase 1st round qualifying Saturday 27th against Arlesford, then Monday 29th Div 1 against Forest Row. Both at home. COYGs