3 Goal G’s Down Villa

Report by Graham Harris
Montpelier Villa 0 (0) v (2) 3 Godalming
In the end a comfortable victory for the Gs, on this 4 G pitch which is the home of the Sussex FA. If it was not for an inspired performance from the home keeper (including saving a penalty) the score could have been much higher. This meant the Gs returned to second place in the league.
With the problems that Phil currently has with three injured left backs, Dan Mills lined up wearing the number 3 shirt with Matt Cox on the right and Luke Beale and James Colinese the centre back, pairing in front of Alfie Mickley in goal. James Mariner in front of the back four with Rob Parrott and Sam Boultwood in the middle. Rikkie Letch and Ross Cheek as the wide players and Kurt Greenaway in the number 9 shirt. On the bench were Liam Avery, Jack Smith and Jacob Stevenson
Matt Cox made one of his superb runs down the right in front of the stand and delivered a cracking ball in, which Kurt headed, but he could only steer the ball just wide.
After that MV broke away and hit the Gs crossbar twice in the same attack. They continued to look a threat for around 15 minutes.
Rikkie Letch made a cracking shot from distance that brought a good save from the home keeper as the play went from one end to the other.
Then the Gs made their first goal. Ross Cheek went a bit left of centre heading towards the goal line before pulling the ball into the centre beautifully for Rob Parrott to do a “Boults” and hit it home.
Ross then not long after, nicked the ball from a defender near the goal line and played the ball across the face of the goal, but no one was on hand to add the finishing touch.
James Mariner, who has been playing really well recently, went down injured and that brought Liam Avery into the frame.
The Gs then made a second goal with a great free kick from Ross Cheek, which was angled towards the goal, where a defender and Kurt Greenaway both collapsed to the ground as the ball went over them and appeared to put off the home goalie, as the ball went straight past him. Both Ross and Liam seemed to be enjoying the game.
Sam Boultwood delivered a short corner from the left about head height and Luke Beale got his head to it, but it cannoned back off the crossbar.
Liam Avery was getting forward and went down the right before pulling the ball into the six -yard box where Ross Cheek headed home, but it was ruled out for offside in the build-up.
Sam Boultwood hit another” Thunder-Boult “shot from a free kick from midway, between the penalty area and the centre line, that crashed against the home crossbar.
2 – 0 to the Gs at half time and all going well.
Not long into the second half, Kurt was fouled as he contested a ball on the left. From the resulting free kick. Liam Avery in the six-yard box cleverly chested the ball down and around the corner for Kurt to tap home from close range.
Only minutes after Kurt was again going down the left and he hit a fierce shot, the home keeper did a great job in keeping it out.
The home side then received a few yellow cards as did the Gs as things became a bit testy on the pitch and the MV manager was also spoken to by the ref.
The Gs were awarded a penalty, which Sam Boultwood stepped up to take. The home stopper did a great job in picking the right way to go and foiled the shot.
Straight after that Boults was subbed off for Jack Smith and shortly after that Dan Mills went off for Jacob Stevenson to make his debut for the senior squad, with Rikkie Letch dropping back to the right back position.
Rikkie made a storming run towards the end of the game where his final shot was again saved by the home keeper.
Another very good performance from the whole Gs squad. Apart from the first 15 minutes, they dominated the game. The defence was tight, the midfield was energetic and creative. Jacob is one of several very promising players in the background who I am sure we will be seeing a lot more of in the coming weeks.