3 Points at Seaford

Report by Alan Burgess
Seaford (0) 0 v 2 (1) Godalming – Southern Combination
Greetings all, Reserve Reporter here again while Graham escapes for a break.
Three points in the bag today and our first win against the hosts. There were a lot of positives from this game not in the least being able to post my first winning report and putting that piece of bad karma to bed. In truth just the one negative which was not putting that round thing in the net enough times again. We should have won this one at a canter but were only able to convert two of the many chances we created.
A 2.00pm Kick Off and an unseasonably warm day saw The Gees start with Alfie Mickley between the posts, in defence Matt Cox and Ollie McAleese at full back with Luke Beale and James Colinese in the middle. Liam Avery, Rob Parrott, Ross Cheek and Luca Scanella in midfield with Rikkie Letch appearing behind Sam Boultwood up front. A full bench with Connor Blanchard, Danny Mills, James Mariner and Jason Cotton, and George Broad, newly promoted from the Development Squad.
Straight from the off the first of many Matt Cox advances down the right flank found Rikkie Letch just shy of netting the earliest of goals. Seaford managed a corner after 17 minutes but before that we had already seen a Liam Avery through ball to Boulty who lobbed the advancing keeper but also the bar, a great cross from the left by Rob Parrot which no one could get on the end of and a one two between Coxy and Boulty than went wide.
James Colinese broke up a Seaford attack with a solid tackle, the resulting breakaway just failed to fall to Rikkie Letch running in on goal. It was beginning to look a bit familiar with more chances begging. Matt Cox was dubiously called offside running in on goal and on 30 minutes we had the best chance of the half as Boulty couldn’t take advantage of a poor clearance by the Seaford keeper. While a couple of minutes later Seaford managed their second shot on goal and from their second corner Alfie was called into action to save a shot from just outside the box.
On 35 minutes and in rapid succession both Boulty and Matt Cox were yellow carded. 5 minutes later Matt was brought down on another of his runs and here the card stayed firmly in the Ref’s pocket. Luca took the resulting free kick – and it’s ‘1-0 Gees!’. We, standing just beside Luca, thought that it went straight in. ‘Team Hendo’ on the other side of the ground thought they maybe saw a Luke Beale head in there somewhere, Ruggs told us, as did the man himself, that Boulty was claiming it. It looks as though the Skipper has it but let’s not fall out, the Guys had a coach journey home to sort it out between them. The half ended with two Seaford corners and a disputed free kick all safely dealt with. It appears that news of the early kick off hadn’t reached all the locals as I’m told some 30 odd people arrived around 2.45.
Gees were on the front foot again as the 2nd half started with a Luca / Boulty combination which evaded the heads in the box and a softish penalty appeal for a challenge on Ross Cheek was turned down. Alfie had a lengthy spell of treatment following a Seaford challenge. He was fit to continue, good news for Connor Blanchard who hid out at the corner flag fearing he might be called on to don the gloves. And the chances kept coming and going with Boulty and Ross Cheek finding no joy.
Liam Avery was replaced by Mazza on 65 minutes and Boulty by Connor 5 minutes later. Seaford began to exert some pressure and a free kick on the left was superbly turned over by Alfie. From the corner Gees broke up field through Connor Blanchard and Rikkie Letch was denied by the keeper. Rikkie was replaced by Jason Cotton on 75 minutes, Ollie by Danny Mills just after.
Alfie pulled off a great stop, one on one with a Seaford forward who broke through the line and there was a hint that we were getting a bit stretched as their long thrower was finding his aim. With 5 minutes of normal time left George Broad came on for Luca to make his first and surely not his last appearance for the First team. The Gees were still creating chances though, with both Jason and Ross Cheek going close. Finally deep into stoppage and with no time after left to enjoy the two-goal cushion Cheeky running in on goal found Jason who wrapped the game and the points up.
It’s ‘Up for the Cup’ again Tuesday and this time the ‘Cup’ in question is the Surrey Premier Cup, Molesey at home, 7.45pm.