Rampant G’s Thrash East Preston

Report by Graham Harris
Godalming 5 (3) v 1 (1) East Preston
It is great to be able to report upon a comprehensive victory for the Gs after some frustrating results where we could not convert dominant performances into wins. Probably the best result of the season although there may have been better performances against stronger opposition.
As far as I am aware, it is the first time that we have entertained East Preston.
Following on from Tuesday’s win at Molesey, the Gs started amazingly with a goal from the first move of the game. In fact, I had hardly warmed up my phone and got the team listed and we were one up. Kurt found himself heading towards the goal line, just right of the visitor’s area and despite being brought down, he got back to his feet quickly and delivered the ball into the box where Liam Avery produced a glancing header to open the scoring, before the ref had had the chance to take his whistle out of his mouth from the kick off. Rather similar glancing header to the goal Liam scored on Tuesday.
The Gs line up was Alfie Mickley in goal, Connor Blanchard, James Colinese, Luke Beale, Ollie McAleese and Luca Scannella. James Mariner in front with Liam Avery and Rob Parrott in the middle and Kurt Greenaway and Boults upfront. On the bench were Matt Cox, Jason Cotton George Broad, Dan Mills and Luke Taylor.
Gs continued pressing the visitors constantly and several shots were blocked by defenders. Then the home side got the second, with some great passing moves on the right before Connor squared the ball into the 6-yard area and Boults controlled the ball and hit it in one move to make it 2 – 0 for the Gs. Only moments later Boults did the same down the left side of the goal and pulled the ball back into the penalty area where Kurt was waiting, He hit it home from about 10 metres.
The Gs now 3 -0 up after just 26 minutes of play.
East Preston were trying to get the ball down their wings, after playing out from the back and not long before half time they did get down their left side from where the ball came in, just above head height and one of their forwards got his head to it, to steer it into the goal beyond Alfie, to give them some relief and hope of a comeback.
Another good move down the right saw the Gs come close again as both Boults and Kurt had shots blocked by defenders in the 6yard area, before the ball went out for another Gs corner, which also saw the Gs come close again with another header that narrowly missed the target.
George Broad came on at the start of the second half to replace Luca who was still feeling the effects of jarring his back on Tuesday night, so sensibly he came off. Interestingly, the referee also was substituted off and the linesman in front of the stand took control of the game. Pete Ballam stepped in and took over the flag. I am sure there was some friendly banter when he flagged the Gs offside on several ocassions.
Jason Cotton then came on to replace Boults and immediately made an impact, getting to the goal line and squaring the ball in for Kurt to tap in from close range.
Liam went on a charge and went through the middle and unleased a powerful shot but again it went over the bar.
Following that Jason worked his way across the front of the visitor’s penalty area before making enough space for himself to hit a great shot, on the turn, which the EP keeper did brilliantly to save. He did really well and was for me the visitors man of the match.
Luke Taylor came on to join the attack as James Colinese made way with around 20 minutes to go.
Jason went on another run from the edge of the penalty area and dribbled his way past 3 or 4 defenders before flicking the ball past the keeper. A great individual goal.
All round an excellent result and another good team performance. Another one to be proud of but we need to keep the points coming.
Early start for next week’s encounter at Seaford 1 pm kick off.