Setback at Dorking

Report by Graham Harris
Dorking Wanderers 3 (0) v (0) 1 Godalming Town
A disappointment for the lads in the end, when they had been by far the better side in the first half with many more corners, attempts on goal, territory, and possession. But unfortunately profligate with the opportunities to put the game to bed in the first 45 minutes. But that is the way it goes sometimes.
A second game in the League for the Gs in under 48 hours (44 hrs to be precise) after their journey to Wick on Saturday. Someone like me wonders why that is the case, when we have also had weekends where we have had no game at all. Dorking do not appear to have had a game for over a week. Again, I suppose, it is what it is and we have to get on with it, particularly when the Gs success in the cup competitions means that we will have more games in the next few weeks, crammed in and hopefully the playoffs as well.
The line-up was Matt Cox, Luke Beale, James Colinese, Ollie McAleese in what appeared to me to be an opening back four, in front of Alfie Mickley in goal. James Mariner picked up an injury at Wick so the ever young and energetic Kurt Greenaway was in front of them, with Connor Blanchard, Rob Parrott, and Liam Avery in the middle and Ross Cheek and Tom White upfront. A strong bench showed Rikkie Letch, Jason Cotton, James Frudd, George Broad. James Mariner was also there but said when chatting at half time he was not really expecting to be coming on.
It all started well with the Gs pressing their hosts from the off. Liam Avery with a chance in the opening minutes.
The home keeper miss-kicked a clearance from hand and the ball screwed into the air and Tom was on it and drove into the area before hitting a shot that deflected off a defender and looked to be dropping towards the goal, before a teammate headed the ball out for a Gs corner.
A freekick for the Gs saw Rob Parrott get up to it but his header went narrowly wide of the far post.
The Gs were dominating possession, to the frustration of the home management who were urging their squad to “get a hold of the ball and keep it”.
A good corner from the Gs, Connor Blanchard on the right found Liam Avery near the far post, but his header, although on target, was saved by the home stopper.
Liam was soon after taken out with a late tackle that brought the first yellow of the game for the home number 6.
Chances came and went for the Gs with the home side blocking shots with their bodies and the Gs corners racking up.
Some great approach work and neat passing on the 3G pitch, down the right side, saw the ball played in to the edge of the box where Ross Cheek swivelled and hit a dream shot on the volley that hit the Dorking cross bar. It was that sort of day.
Another attack down the right saw more good interplay from the Gs, before the ball came in and Rob Parrott showed some nifty footwork and almost played the ball behind him through his legs and into the goal, but did not quite get enough on it. Tom was at the at far post, but was just beaten to it by the home keeper.
Connor then had a run into the box himself, but his shot was blocked by the onrushing keeper. The ball just was not going in for the Gs.
Somehow the score remained 0 – 0 at half time.
You know what tends to happen if you do not take your opportunities in football. You get punished.
The Gs started as they had finished the first half and won a couple of corners, before the home side were able to clear the ball down their left touchline. Unfortunately, a Gs defender totally failed to make contact with the ball, which allowed a Dorking forward to bear down on Alfie and open the scoring with the first real attempt on goal for the home side.
The Gs kept attacking and Kurt got forward and hit a powerful shot, but over the bar.
Ollie Mc Aleese following a nasty tackle received a long period of treatment on the pitch from physio Steve Snelling.
Ross Cheek got in another volley that went just wide.
Kurt then got a yellow card for a tackle in the middle of the park.
Ollie was struggling and he had to be replaced. Fruddy coming on for him up front with Matt Cox moving to left back and Connor dropping back to right back.
Perhaps the Gs were feeling it in their legs by now, as very strangely they seemed to allow a bit too much space in the middle, as the home side attacked and were able to pass through the Gs defence on only their second real attack of the game, leaving Alfie no chance as they scored from close range.
The Gs were still pushing and they finally got some joy when Ross Cheek took a great free kick that this time hit the inside of the post low down and bounced across the face of the goal where Fruddy was on hand to tap the ball home. So now 2-1 to the home side.
Rikkie came on to replace Kurt, probably being protected as he was on a yellow and will be essential in the next few games.
Dorking really sealed the result when they won a corner on their right and it was met by there tall number six, who found the net beyond Alfie.
Tom White produced a very decent shot from the left, at an acute angle, but the Dorking stopper was able to beat it away.
Shortly after that Tom was replaced by Jason Cotton. George Broad also came on for Connor Blanchard.
More yellow cards came from the ref and, after a free kick by Ross Cheek, the ball was headed on a couple of times by Rob and Rikkie and somehow the ball was allowed to tantalisingly bounce across the Dorking goal, but there was no Gs player there to tap it in.
Anyway, we need to put that behind us and move on to next Saturday’s game.