Chessington & Hook

Chessington and Hook  2 (0) v (0) 1 Godalming Town

The Gs winning streak came to and end at Chalky Lane after a somewhat fractured and at times a little fractious game.

The starting lineup was Ryan O’Sullivan with, in front of him, Jack Sherwood, Jimmy Norman, Ben Matthews, and Matt Cox. In the middle Luca Scannella, Rikkie Letch and Rob Parrott. Ross Cheek in a sort of number 10 position and up-front Jason Vincent and Cameron Edwin.

A strong bench included Will Ab-lorweth, Tom White, Kieran Ferguson, Jason Cotton and Josh Di Palma. Ollie McAleese was there to give moral support, but is still a little way off returning to fitness. No sign of Luke Beale returning as yet.

The first half was a rather bitty affair with little flowing football played by either side and too many interruptions from the referee’s whistle for me. But the Gs cause was not helped at all when they lost first Matt Cox, in the first half and then, Luca Scannella in the second, to injuries. Both having to be replaced by Will Ab-Lorweth (for Matt) and Tom (for Luca).

Jason Vincent did get a great shot off, from the edge of the area just before half time, which was turned around well by the C&H keeper. But, other than that, there was little to really get excited about for the Gs supporters, who were there in numbers as always. And, to be fair, the home side looked lively at times using their wings and probably edged the first half. Ryan having to make a good save himself getting a leg out to deflect the ball around the near post. So 0 -0 at half time.

But, early in the second half we saw the best of the nights goals, when Rob Parrott made one of his sinew stretching runs deep in his own half, to win the ball wide out on the right wing and quickly played the ball down the line to Cam who somehow escaped the attentions of his several markers and delivered a great ball diagonally to his left, perfectly weighted to Jason Vincent who took the ball under control before lashing the ball into the net low past the home keeper. 0 – 1 to the Gs.

The home side exerted some more pressure down their right flank and Ryan was again required to beat the ball round the post. Then, just after Tom came on for Luca for what looks like another ankle injury, the home side attacked down their left and delivered what looked like a somewhat speculative shot from range, which unfortunately took a wicked deflection from a Gs body that took the flight of the ball well clear of Ryan to bring the scores level.

That seemed the spur on the home side as they pressed the Gs goal and Ryan was called upon to make more saves than he has all season, I think.

The home side were then awarded, to me, a rather contentious free kick to the left-hand side of the Gs area. The initial ball was punched out by Ryan, but not that far clear and the ball was headed back in to put the Chessington team ahead.

Luke Beale then made some more changes bringing on Jason Cotton and Josh Di Palma to replace Rob Parrott and Will Ab-Lorweth. Presumably hoping that Jason C could influence the game as he did on Saturday when coming off the bench.

Shortly after Keiran Ferguson came on to replace Jack Sherwood. But despite a few more attacks from the Gs the final shot or pass in each case was not quite good enough and the Chessington side took all three points at the final whistle. Probably a fair result on the night.

So, onwards to the cup game against Seaford this Saturday.