Division 1 League Cup Exit

Seaford (2) 4 v 2 (0) Godalming – Division 1 League Cup
A lengthy trek east for this League Cup game, at least it wasn’t a Tuesday night and Tony Roberts set the scene early and honestly telling us we were missing several players for this one. The teams were posted up and we travellers were debating who would be starting where. Out on the pitch it turned out to be Ryan O’Sullivan in goal with a back four of Jack Sherwood, Ben Matthews, Jimmy Norman and for today on the left, Keiran Ferguson, normally seen further much forward. Rikkie Letch sat in front of them with Captain Ross Cheek as the pivot (Bruno will tell us if that a real position, a good guess or if I have made it up?) joined by Will Ab-Iowerth and Josh Di Palma. Forwards, Jason Vincent and Tom White.
On the bench we saw a fully kitted out Luke Beale albeit wearing a heavy support on that left knee. With him were the returning pair of Danny Mills and Jamie Kaffo and the always good to see George Broad. Between Luke and Jamie, it was difficult to who was walking / jogging the better before kick-off. Jamie didn’t look that comfortable and it was not a surprise that he didn’t feature.
A chance to defend the Cup that we won last season, but we appeared to start with some kind of death wish with our passing and distribution across the back, conceding throw ins from loose passes and making little ground. Having said that Jason Vincent slotted a ball to Josh Di Palma who saw his shot charged down and Jack Sherwood fed Jason who put the ball over on to the head of Ross Cheek who maybe should have done better than head over. 10 minutes gone and what have I been banging on about recently?
Simulation. A Seaford forward, no doubt hearing that a new series of ‘Das Boot’ is back on TV this week dives in the box. A yellow card at long last. 13th and 15th minutes and the Gees were 2-0 down. Seaford forwards queuing up to score the 1st and the 2nd coming when Ryan inexplicably knocked the ball out to the opposition rather than our 2 waiting centre halves. Shortly after Keiran picked up a yellow chasing back a Seaford forward out wide. Ryan saved well as a forward broke past 2 defenders and a Seaford corner given by the Ref overruling the linesman on the ball was headed over. Ryan was called on again to make another save as possession was lost across the back and Seaford squandered another chance putting a one on one over the bar. A small moment of light relief came via a shot from Tom which went wide of the goal but ended up slotting neatly through the Clubhouse door. Half time, not going well and Luke had already removed that knee support.
No changes at half time and sadly by the time 10 minutes had been played it was 4-0. any lingering hopes during the interval that having survived the last 30 minutes of the 1st half we might get back in it had gone. The 3rd goal came on 53 minutes, again Seaford players queuing up finish off a deep ball in from our left and the 4th a header off the bar after Ryan parried a Seaford cross. Danny Mills came on the replace Keiran, with Ben moving to left back, and further blushes were avoided as again with only Ryan to beat Seaford overran the ball.
George Broad came on for Josh Di Palma as gradually Godalming found themselves coming into the game. From a Ross free kick Jack sent the ball over and Will got in on the far post to see his header go wide. Jimmy powered in 2 corners; the 2nd being cleared off the line to Tom who had the same thing happen to his follow up shot. George was just wide latching on to a Tom White cross. Ross went down heavily, not what we wanted to see, Luke put on the No. 16 shirt, ready to replace him. Ross got back on the park and played in Tom who cooly slotted the ball into the net to reduce the deficit with 5 minutes left. George picked up a ball which Jason deftly held up and hit the Gees 2nd on the 90 minute mark. Ross finally couldn’t continue, he is needed back asap, and Luke finally came on to play the remaining added time in the forward line.
Bad day at the office, something we haven’t had to say for a while, with a bit of a makeshift side but a spirted finish to the game albeit the damage had already been done. Back to the bread and butter stuff of the league next week at home to East Preston.