Godalming Town FC

FC Deportivo (A)

FC Deportivo 3 – 3 Godalming

A remarkable game.

George Peterkin and his dad spoke to me towards the end and said it was going to be a good report for me to to write. At that time, we were 0 -3 up with no more than a minute or two of normal time to go. The Peterkin’s were right – at the time. Even the most cautious of us thought that we would take all three points and how important is that to our survival? A must win game. A six pointer. You have heard it all before.

As usual it was very windy, dismal, cold and threatening rain when we arrived at Bedfont Sports Ground to see who was in the G’s squad today. It was clear from a brief observation of the two sides that we were as usual going to be a very young side and physically much smaller than our opposition in many positions. We would need all the pace and skill that we could muster and at least on a great 3 G pitch we could play some quick passing football. There was no Rory, Reegan, Raishin or Ryan warming up and Darren, still being suspended, we saw Dom on the bench nursing his ankle, and some more new faces from the Youth squad.

Adrian was in goal and captain for the day, Tom Reeves (who looked good in his debut was at right back)  with Jordan Cavender at left back, Charlie Chennel (who got that goal for us last week, his first I think for the Gs first team) alongside Andrew Tarrant who has made an impression in his recent games, Richie MBele and Ben Bauchop who have been so important in the centre. Jayden Morri-Obey and Arthur Chosen as the wide players and Reece Weekes up front with Sharif Madeebo. Dom Hardisty was on the bench, but from looking at the damage to his leg he was not likely to take part. Frankie Ryan-Maynard and Sean Tarrant alongside Ollie Ford.

The opening minutes saw Reece get the first shot of the game away, but it went past the far post when he was cutting in from the right flank.  After a promising start for the Gs the hosts started to get a bit of possession, but were limited to long range shots, but won some corners. Ben Bauchop who has been in the wars lately, but has been so influential going forward, got clattered and that brought a booking for the home number 7.

Ben was able to take the free kick and delivered a lowish ball in front of the 6 yard box, which the home keeper tried to catch as he dived forward. He spilled the ball and arch poacher and red-hot goal scorer Charlie Chennel, who had gone up for the kick, was on hand to put the ball into the open net. The Gs one nil up now.

Then no more than 3 minutes later Ben made a great break right through the middle, bouncing off defenders before making it to the edge of the area and confidently hitting a shot with the outside of his right foot that curled beautifully inside the far post to the delight of his team mates. This put the Gs 2-0 up. That was the score at half time.

Around ten minutes into the second half Reece got to the goal line and pulled the ball back to the far post where Andrew Tarrant got in a powerful header that hit the upright, but the home side were relieved that the ref decided it did not cross the goal line and was cleared quickly forwards.

As the home side broke forward Ben Bauchop brought down a Deportivo player by the centre circle and came off worse having been yellow carded and carried off with a damaged leg. Sean Tarrant came on for his debut in the number 9 position and Reece moved to number 7 and Arthur took up Ben’s position.

A great attack from the Gs saw Sharif finish it with a powerful shot that the home keeper had to go full length to save. Another fine attack from the Gs saw Reece finish with a great curling shot that was heading for the goal before the home keeper saved again at full stretch. He kept them in the game. Then Reece picked up the ball in the Gs half and worked his way forward and into the home area where he looked to square the ball, but then hit a magnificent curling shot that this time beat the flailing home keeper. The Gs now 3 up and surely safe?

With only 20 minutes left of the 90 it seemed we were safe. But the home side now threw everything at us, as expected. Adrian was called upon to make a couple of smart stops and Gs defenders were blocking where they could.

But, then as full time approached, after a bit of a scramble in the G’s goalmouth the home side got one goal back. Frankie came on for Jayden. Then, rather out of the blue a long high cross/shot from the right for Deportivo seemed to get caught by the wind and as Adrian went up for it he failed to connect and the ball found its way just inside the far post. Now there was only one goal in it. Squeaky bum time. Only two minutes later we gave the ball away rather easily and there was another scramble in the Gs area and the result was an equaliser.

To concede 3 goals in 5 minutes of extra time was a blow to the senses. Terribly disappointing for the young lads in the G squad after such a good performance, but hats off to the FC D team for never giving up.



Michael (Stato) Stats

Teams                       Deportivo           G’s

attempts                         12                   10

on target                          7                     5

corners                            8                     1

fouls                               10                   13

cards                              Y1                   Y1

poss% 1st                     52                   48

poss% 2nd                   47                   53

Bovril Status:  Yes- they had Bovril and yes- it came in a branded Bovril cup. and great news!  Bovril is the new kale!  There was some nutritional information on the cup which my dodgy eyes could not quite work out.  Think it said one cup of Bovril was 0.06% of the recommended salt intake… And great for your sugar levels!  Superfood ahoy!

















Scroll to top